Work in the kitchen at an award-winning Alaskan Arts Camp!
Located at the edge of wilderness on the shore of the Pacific Ocean
- Sitka, Alaska
- $15.00 - $17.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 4 months. (Jun 09, 2024)
Sitka Fine Arts Camp’s (SFAC’s) kitchen staff is responsible for the completion of all prep cooking, serving, and dishwashing duties. Kitchen staffers will assist the head chef with food preparation and serving food to the campers and participants in the campus Dining Hall. Kitchen staff must comply with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards and following established food production programs and procedures. In addition, kitchen staff are responsible for maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards for china, glassware, tableware, cooking utensils, etc., using machine and manual cleaning methods. The kitchen staff must ensure that all areas of the kitchen and dining hall -- the dish pit, stovetops, ovens, floors, food preparation surfaces, hotline, dining room tables, etc. -- are kept neat, safe, and sanitary.
Dates: June 9 - August 15 (end date could change based on needs of the program)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assists head chef and cook in preparing food using established production procedures and systems.
- Complies with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene and health standards. Observes proper food preparation and handling techniques.
- Stores food properly and safely, marking the date and item.
- Monitor and re-stock Dining Hall salad bar, cereal bar, and beverage bar.
- Reports necessary equipment repair and maintenance to supervisor.
- Correctly prepares all food served following standard recipes and special diet orders.
- Apportions food for serving.
- Keeps work area neat and clean at all times; cleans and maintains equipment used in food preparation.
- Sort and rinse dirty dishes, glasses, tableware and other cooking utensils and places them in racks to send through dish machine.
- Sort and stack clean dishes. Carry clean dishes to the hot line and other proper storage areas. Rewash soiled dishes before delivering.
- Wash pots, pans and trays by hand.
- Remove trash and garbage to dumpster.
- Maintain and clean dishwashing area regularly.
- Fill/empty soak tubs with cleaning/sanitizing solutions.
- Sweep/mop floors.
- Conduct general dining hall and kitchen cleaning as directed.
- Wipe up any spills to ensure kitchen floors remain dry.
- Wash hands before touching clean dishes.
- Other duties as directed.
- Prior experience in food production or catering preferred.
- Food handler card.
- Hardworking and efficient with an emphasis on speed and accuracy.
- Customer focus.
- Communication proficiency.
- Presentation skills.
- Ability to handle safely and efficiently standard kitchen tools and equipment.
- Ability to train others in the safe and efficient use of standard kitchen tools and equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment can be loud and busy. There are many kitchen hazards such as hot surfaces and liquids, sharp knives, and slippery floors. The employee is required to stand for long periods as well as walk, bend and stoop. The position requires working taste buds, ability to smell, feel with fingers and visually inspect, including close and distance vision. The position requires ability to use arms, hands and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, decorate, etc.
The above is not intended to list all possible essential functions or requirements as they are subject to change. The employer reserves the right to revise or change this description. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the above essential duties and meet the physical demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these requirements.
- $15-$17 an hour DOE
- Shared dormitory style housing for out of town staff
- Meals in the campus dining hall
- Access to the Hames Fitness Center
How to Apply
PLEASE NOTE: Only complete applications submitted through SFAC's website via the link below will be considered.