Nationally-recognized arts camp is seeking a Head Chef! Room and board & transportation included.
Located at the edge of wilderness on the shores of the Pacific ocean
- Sitka, Alaska
- $4,600.00 - $5,000.00 / month
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Sitka Fine Arts Camp (SFAC) is looking for a Head Chef for our nationally recognized Fine Arts Camp. SFAC is a non-profit whose mission is to provide arts learning opportunities to Alaska kids in an intensive summer school format. SFAC is located in one of the most beautiful communities in the world, Sitka, Alaska, on the national historic landmark Sheldon Jackson Campus. For more information visit www.fineartscamp.org.
SFAC's Head Chef is responsible for all culinary activities on the Sitka Fine Arts Campus. This position will oversee all activity in the kitchen, cook food, train personnel, plan menus, oversee product purchasing, and manage culinary budget. The SFAC kitchen runs seven days a week and provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all of the campus’s guests. There will be occasional outside catering events that overlap with the normal dining hall schedule.
- Prepare food.
- Schedule staff.
- Supervise staff.
- Coordinate all training activities for the kitchen including the identification and analysis of training needs and the design and implementation of programs to address these deficiencies.
- Develop recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints.
- Manage food ordering.
- Participate in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
- Assist in areas such as plate presentation, special function menu planning, and the design of new service areas.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Four years of progressive experience in high-volume food production or catering, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Food handler card.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Business Acumen.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Presentation Skills.
- Enjoys working with people with an emphasis on youth.
- Ability to use and train others in the safe and efficient use of standard kitchen tools and equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment can be loud and busy. There are many kitchen hazards such as hot surfaces and liquids, sharp knives, and slippery floors. The employee is required to stand for long periods as well as walk, bend and stoop. The position requires working taste buds, ability to smell, feel with fingers and visually inspect, including close and distance vision. The position requires ability to use arms, hands and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, decorate, etc.
The above is not intended to list all possible essential functions or requirements as they are subject to change. The employer reserves the right to revise or change this description. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the above essential duties and meet the physical demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these requirements.
Please note: All SFAC employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- $4,600-$5,000/month DOE
- Room and board