Field Educator, Sacramento, CA, Part-Time - Lead field trips at local nature areas
This job is located in Sacramento, CA
- year round
- Sacramento, California
- $17.00 - $19.00 / hour
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Mar 01, 2024)
Field Educator, $17-$19 per hour DOE
Part-Time Position (15 hours per week average)
Start Date: March 1, 2024
Sierra Nevada Journeys is seeking Field Educators to help lead elementary outdoor science field studies in Sacramento. This position requires an individual with a dedication to growth, learning and improvement. The ideal candidate has experience with teaching and is prepared to teach outdoor science programs at parks and nature sites in the Sacramento area. The position requires an individual who can work well on their own and on a team, and who is committed to supporting a nonprofit on the leading edge of the informal education industry. They should be passionate about fostering scientific literacy, critical thinking skills, social and emotional well-being, and environmental stewardship.
Field Educators lead K-8 students at local nature sites and schoolyards for 2-3 hour field trips, and at family and community engagement events. Field Educators will report directly to Sierra Nevada Journeys’ Sacramento Program Director.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Teach and support Sierra Nevada Journeys programs and lead Family STEM Nights. Typical programs may include the following:
- Classrooms Unleashed – The majority of teaching will be done through this multi-part program. This program consists of two in-class lessons and an outdoor science field study at a local nature site. Field educators will be trained to lead groups of 12-20 students, K-6th grade for the outdoor field trip portion of this program at local nature sites.
- Family STEM Nights – Provide support at family engagement events held at elementary schools and partnering community-based organizations.
- Afterschool Programs – Assist with after-school programming by facilitating STEM activities for students in grades K-8 during 60-90 minute sessions.
- Summer Programs – Support facilitation of STEM activities at schools and field sites.
- Outreach events – Provide activity facilitation at occasional tabling events in the community.
- Available at least three weekdays per week from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday – Friday preferred for outdoor field trips
- Ability to commute to schools and field trip sites within a 30-mile radius of downtown Sacramento
- Current Red Cross CPR and first aid (or willingness to fulfill this requirement prior to the start date)
- Passionate commitment to working with children of all backgrounds
- Ability to pass a background check
- All employees and volunteers are required to attest in writing they have up-to-date immunizations against the diseases required for public school attendance in the State in which they work as a condition of employment.
- Available 1-2 afternoons and evenings per week for after school and Family STEM Night programs
- Fluency in Spanish or other prevalent language(s) in Sacramento County
- Experience working with children
- Background in STEM or environmental studies
- Demonstrates cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of our program participants and fellow colleagues.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Compensation depends on experience
- Option to earn an additional 3% pay for Spanish fluency or other prevalent languages in Sacramento County
- Mileage reimbursement
- Two paid holidays
- Partial cell phone plan reimbursement
- Optional 403(b) retirement plan and up to a 4% match by Sierra Nevada Journeys
- Excellent training in evidence-based teaching practices and positive behavior management
- Innovative company focused on improving outdoor education delivery and invested in staff growth
DURATION OF EMPLOYMENT
- February to mid-June and late August to mid-December
- This is a seasonal position, with limited work hours from mid-June through late August, and from mid-December through February.