Mentor and teach youth outdoor environmental science education as an Outdoor Program Instructor
Live and work 50 minutes north of Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada mountain rage; four seasons.
- Portola, California
- $110.00 - $115.00 / day
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 2 months. (Feb 05, 2024)
“Sierra Nevada Journeys is like Disneyland for people who love the outdoors. Each day is different, full of surprises and I like to know that I’m making a difference with kids.” – Outdoor Program Instructor
Full-time seasonal position from February to November 2024, and with the opportunity to renew your contract for the next season. Earn $110 - $115 per day + addl. pay for certifications; including off-site housing and workday meals.
Instructors deliver residential, one-to-five-day outdoor science educational programs primarily serving fifth and sixth grades from regional elementary and middle schools. All of our lessons are hands-on science and collaborative problem-solving with a focus on critical thinking, exploration, and environmental stewardship.
Instructors are responsible for leading and educating a group of 12–15 students throughout their program, including facilitating large group activities, leading meals and working evening programs. All lessons are written according to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and we train our staff using the University of California at Berkeley’s BEETLES (Better Environmental Education, Teaching, Learning & Expertise Sharing) teaching techniques and pedagogy. We are looking for Instructors who have experience teaching youth of color from communities of low income. To learn more about this job, please visit https://www.sierranevadajourneys.org/jobs.
- Paid time off, sick days, 403(b) retirement plan with 4% match
- Addl. pay for certifications or experience working with BIPOC students, lifeguard, science instruction, Wilderness First Aid, or First Responder
- Option to earn a +3% pay increase for bilingual fluency in Spanish or other languages that support our programs
- Live and work in Northern California, Plumas National Forest, just 50 minutes north of Truckee, CA and Lake Tahoe
- Job location: Sierra Nevada Journeys Grizzly Creek Ranch, Portola, CA
Learn more about working at Sierra Nevada Journeys by visiting https://www.sierranevadajourneys.org/join-our-team.
How to Apply