Kayak Guide/Naturalist position on Yellowstone lake In Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone = Outdoor Adventures Paradise! Live in and near Yellowstone all summer!
- Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
- $270.00 / day + tips
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Jun 05, 2019)
EXPERIENCED KAYAKING/NATURALIST GUIDE POSITION IN YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK with SHURR ADVENTURES
Join our Experienced Team Kayaking in Yellowstone National park this Summer on Lake Yellowstone with the Shurr Adventures.
WAGES/PAY: $135 to $270 a day+tips and scheduled time off to stay and play in Jackson Hole and the surrounding Yellowstone area.
Welcome to Shurr Adventures Kayaking and Hiking company in Yellowstone National Park. We are a small family business seeking kayaking guides who are experienced kayak guides that know how to perform rescues, can roll their kayak, fun, safe, humble, team players, enthusiastic, self-motivated and are personable people, to lead small groups and private kayaking and hiking Eco-trips in Yellowstone National Park this upcoming Summer June 5th until August 30(Dates are flexible for the right candidate and can start earlier and end later as well for very experienced guides)
We are a company that truly cares about both its guests and guides. We are the smallest and one of the busiest companies with some of the best kayaking gear on the water with great comfortable boats and quality gear. We are the Number 1# rated kayak company in Yellowstone National Park.
In the winter months, Nov. 1st to May 1st Shurr Adventures heads back to Florida to lead kayaking tours in Everglades National Park. The right candidate or candidates who are hired in Yellowstone and do a great job in the summer would have an opportunity to work in Everglades National Park as a kayak guide (if he or she wants to). This is a great and fast way to learn, guide, and gain invaluable experience in two of the best national parks in the United States, without having to apply twice.
The proper candidate must have an outdoor guiding experience as a sea kayak guide or whitewater kayak guide and a college degree in geography, biology, geology, or another related field.
We are looking for guides who enjoy spotting wildlife and teaching guests about the Yellowstone ecosystem in a safe and fun way. As a kayaking guide, you will be dealing with the many elements of Yellowstone and this job is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced kayakers. For guides that like to work independently and/or with one or two people at the most, then this company could be the right fit.
About our Company and What to Expect We are a small family company that has been around for 14 years. We are looking for the right person(s) to help represent our company the way we and other amazing guides have done for years as we continue to grow. We have the smallest group to guide ratio on the water, which helps with customer safety, experience, and great tips for the guides. After the guides are comfortable and fully trained a lot of days it will be just you and your guests on a tour. We are in the office for most of the days of running our hiking tours.
- Must have a First Aid certificate or receive one before you start, preference will be given to people with a Wilderness First Aid or First Responder.
- Must be able to multi-task (a.k.a answer guest questions while ensuring group safety and be able to spot wildlife).
- College Degree and sea kayaking guiding or whitewater kayak guiding experience. It's a plus to have any of these listed degrees Biology, Ecology, Natural Sciences, Education, Outdoor Education, Geography or any other related degree.
- Must be a birder or interested in learning. (A plus if you know common Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem birds and their calls)
- Must be able to study on your own the whole season and keep learning
- Must be able to kayak for 8 hours in a day with a break in the middle of the day and paddle around 6 to 12 miles daily.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift 60 to 80lbs a lot every day
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be organized and punctual or at least act like it in front of the guest:)
- Must have a clean driving record.
- Must be patient, kind, and customer service orientated.
- Must be able to tolerate dry heat, 32 degrees and lower, biting insects, whining kids, or adults :)
- Must be an outdoor adventurer who likes sharing the natural world with people.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Be able to work weekends not all but some weekends
More than anything must be fun, happy, trustworthy, easy to work with and represent the Shurr Adventures Team the way we and our incredible guides have for 14 years.
Pay is $135 per half-day tour (3 1/2 hours paddle time) and $150 for a full day trip (5 hours). Many days are two half-day trips, So the pay for two 1/2 day trips would be $270 a day and $285 for a full day and a 1/2 day sunset trip. With the service that the guides provide and our price point, guides have been very happy with their tips.
There are one to two positions available so couples that can work together feel free to apply. We also invite friends or co-workers from the same company who work well together to apply as well. If you don't have any sea kayaking or whitewater guiding experience yet please don't apply, we don't want to waste your time. The water is very cold (38 degrees on a warm day) and can become very dangerous for inexperienced people. Guides must have a reliable vehicle that you can car or van camp. If you have never guide camped in your car or van this might not be the right fit. The park is far from every gate entrance city so all guides camp in their vehicles about half an hour to 45 minutes away. The closest towns are an hour and a half away. If you want to see where we are located just google grant village Yellowstone as this is close to our put-in and the location of our boats. Please do not call if you want to be considered. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at our job. Sorry but if you don’t have experience we will not be able to respond to your email as we are in our busy season in the Everglades. Thanks for taking the time to read about our company.
Alli and Justin
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org