Great work atmosphere with weekends off and amazing paddling on Lake Yellowstone
Yellowstone = Outdoor Adventures Paradise!
- Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
- $250.00 / day + tips
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 4 months (Jun 10, 2019)
KAYAKING/NATURALIST GUIDE POSITION IN YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK with SHURR ADVENTURES
2019 Kayaking in Yellowstone National park this Summer on Lake Yellowstone with the Shurr's.
WAGES/PAY: $150 to 300/day+tips and most weekends off.
Hello and thanks for checking out Shurr Adventures Kayaking and Hiking company in Yellowstone National Park. We are a small family business seeking experienced kayaking guides that know how to perform rescues and can roll their kayak. We are looking for a team member that is fun, safe, humble, team players, enthusiastic, self-motivated and are personable people, to lead small groups kayaking in Yellowstone National Park this upcoming Summer June 10 until August 10. As guides for over 20 years all over the country, we think this job is an opportunity of a lifetime and a great way to learn from a company that treats our guides like family. We are the smallest and one of the busiest companies with the best kayaking gear on the water with great comfortable boats and quality gear. We truly care for our guides and try to make sure there is a great work/ life balance
With Shurr Adventures there is plenty of room for growth and sunshine. In the winter months, Nov. 1st to May 1st Shurr Adventures heads back to Florida to lead kayaking tours in Everglades National Park for our 14th season.
The proper candidate must have outdoor guiding experience as a sea kayak guide and a college degree in geography, biology, geology, or another related field.
We are looking for guides who will enjoy spotting wildlife and teaching guests about the Yellowstone ecosystem in a safe and fun way. As a kayaking guide, you will be dealing with the many elements of Yellowstone Lake and this job is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced sea kayakers.
About our Company and What to Expect We are a small family company that has been around for 14 years. We started our company with a 1994 geo prism with 220,000 miles and 800 dollars in the bank. We have both been guides for around 20 years each as hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, photography and class v river rafting guides. We are looking for the right person(s) to help represent our company the way we have done for years as we continue to grow. We have the smallest group to guide ratio, which helps with customer safety, experience, and great tips for the guides. After the guides are comfortable and fully trained a lot of days it will be just you and your guests on a tour. We are in the office most days and once we feel our guides are ready to go we don’t micromanage and let our team do their thing
- Must have a First Aid certificate or receive one before you start, preference will be given to people with a Wilderness First Aid or First Responder.
- Must be able to multi-task (a.k.a answer guest questions while ensuring group safety and be able to spot wildlife).
- College Degree and sea kayaking guiding or whitewater kayak guiding experience. It's a plus to have any of these listed degrees Biology, Ecology, Natural Sciences, Education, Outdoor Education, Geography or any other related degree.
- Must be a birder or interested in learning. (A plus if you know common Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem birds and their calls)
- Must be able to kayak for 8 hours in a day with a large break in the middle of the day and paddle around 6 to 12 miles daily when there are two trips a day.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift 60 to 80lbs a lot every day
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be organized and punctual or at least act like it in front of the guest:)
- Must have a clean driving record.
- Must be patient, kind, and customer service orientated.
- Must be able to tolerate dry heat, 32 degrees and lower, animals that want to hurt you, biting insects, whining kids, or adults :)
- Must be an outdoor adventurer who likes sharing the natural world with people.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Be able to work a couple of weekends (but guides get two days off in a row and most weekends off)
More than anything must be easy to work with trustworthy, be able to work without our supervision and represent the Shurr Adventures Team the way we and our incredible guides have for 14 years.
Pay is $125 per half day tour (3 1/2 to four hours paddle time) and $160 for a full day trip (5 hours). Many days are two half-day trips or a full day and then a sunset tour (half day). With the service that we provide, and our price point our guides have been very happy with their tips.
There are one to two positions available so couples that can work together feel free to apply. We also invite friends or co-workers from the same company who work well together to apply as well. If you don't have any sea kayak guiding experience yet please don't apply, we don't want to waste your time. The water is very cold (38 degrees on a warm day) and can become very dangerous for inexperienced guides. Must have a reliable vehicle that you can car camp in or be willing to sleep in a converted 15 passenger van of ours for the summer in the national forest areas #vanlife. The park is far from every gate entrance city so all guides camp in their vehicles. Please do not call if you want to be considered. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at our job. Sorry, but if you don’t have experience we will not be able to respond to your email as we are in our busy season in the Everglades. Thanks for taking the time to read about our company. - Alli and Justin Shurr
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com