Catalina Island Company
Work in paradise on Santa Catalina Island at a stunning beach club!
- Avalon, Catalina Island, CA
- $15.00 / hour
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (Feb 07, 2019)
Under supervision of the Director of Descanso Canyon Activities, in accordance with the mission and vision of the Island Company, the Zipline Guide enjoys working outdoors in a beachside canyon setting, providing a safe, entertaining, and informative zipline eco tour experiences for all guests. This is a very active position, instructing, leading, and assisting each guest safely through a segmented zipline course, while providing intriguing information about the island’s natural features along the way. In addition to ensuring guest safety, it is the duty of the Zipline Guide to ensure that each guest has an enjoyable and memorable experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Zipline Guide is responsible for, but not limited to, the following essential duties:
- Daily opening and closing procedures and general upkeep of the facility.
- Conducting thorough inspections of all course components and gear.
- Fitting guest harnesses and helmets.
- Conducting pre-tour safety orientations.
- Assisting guests as they load in and out of a vehicle.
- Performing necessary safety checks and protocols.
- Using handheld radios to communicate safety measures and rider clearance with teammate.
- Attaching and detaching riding equipment for each guest.
- Assisting with the step-off and landing of guests at the ends of each zipline.
- Assuring the safety and wellbeing of each guest throughout each tour.
- Performing guest retrievals and rescues as needed.
- Using customer engagement skills to create a memorable experience for all.
- Enthusiastically educating guests about Catalina Island ecology through an approved tour script.
- Cleaning and preparing equipment for upcoming tours.
- Assisting with course maintenance efforts.
- Attending required meetings and trainings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to work comfortably at heights and perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must complete and pass required site-specific zipline safety training program as well as island ecology training program and pass a written and practical skills test for both. Guides that do not have valid CPR, AED, and First Aid certification when hired will obtain certification during training.
Must possess a friendly disposition and professional demeanor at all times; able to communicate personably and effectively with adults and children in both group and individual settings. Must utilize a kind and patient approach to working with people and accommodating their needs. Must be able to handle various tasks in a creative and motivated manner. Must have a great attention to detail to ensure safety and overall positive guest experience.
Must be at least 18 years old.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Prior experience with customer service, educational roles, outdoor recreation, athletics, ropes courses, or ziplines preferred, but not required.
Ability to effectively respond to questions from managers, co-workers, customers, and the general public. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write clear inspection and safety reports.
Candidates must have the physical capability to maneuver themselves throughout the zipline course and assist guests as needed, including rescue scenarios. This is a very physical position, which requires an individual to maneuver comfortably at height while suspending, reaching, stretching, pushing, pulling, and managing rope and equipment systems.
- Must be able to walk, stand, and exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours.
- Must be able to hike, climb, and work at various heights.
- Must be able to bend, twist, stoop, squat, stretch, push, and pull on a regular and continuous basis.
- Must have full range of overhead arm motions and full hand dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Must be able to lift up to 100 lbs on a regular and continuous basis.
- Must have a strong upper body to pull self and be able to pull and push participants weighing up to 250 lbs along each cable and platform’s incline.
- Requires visual acuity and the ability to hear clearly in an outdoor environment.
Each Zipline Guide is required to work in a fast-paced, physical, social, professional, and team-oriented work environment. Nearly all of the work is conducted outdoors in varied climates from 40-90 degrees Fahrenheit.
ALCOHOL & DRUG TESTING:
Employees may not arrive on duty under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Because this position is a safety sensitive position, employees will be subject to random alcohol and drug testing if it is suspected that an employee is at work under the influence of alcohol or drugs (including misuse of prescription medications).
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter or brief video, telling us why you would like to work for us, and a little bit about yourself, along with the resume, to email@example.com
Please submit application materials and detail your licenses, restrictions and endorsements.