Join us at a National Historic Landmark Adirondack Great Camp this Season!
Sagamore is an authentic 1897 National Historic Landmark set in the heart of the Adirondacks
- Raquette Lake, New York
- $21.00 / hour
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 3 months. (May 13, 2024)
Great Camp Sagamore is one of the pioneering historic preservation efforts in the United States. Our National Historic Landmark property was built by William West Durant, one of the innovators of the Adirondack style of architecture. Set on the edge of a Sagamore Lake and surrounded by thousands of acres of designated wilderness, the 28 building complex was once the hunting lodge of the Vanderbilt family and is now a non-profit educational institution. We offer overnight and day educational programs, historic tours, workshops, and family events from Memorial Day through mid-October. Most of our guests are adults.
Working at Great Camp Sagamore
Great Camp Sagamore currently employs 7 year-round staff members and an additional 18-20 staff members during our season (May – October). We have a collaborative work environment where all staff members are expected to lead by example, to work closely together in a positive manner, and to foster a safe, encouraging, and enjoyable community for all staff and visitors.
Great Camp Sagamore is committed to creating, supporting and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment that empowers all staff members to grow and to be active within decision making spaces. We are committed to ensuring an anti-racist culture and a work environment free from discrimination and harassment where staff are empowered to bring their authentic selves to every aspect of their work. Great Camp Sagamore does not discriminate based on gender, gender expression, sexual identity, sexual orientation, race, class, color, age, ethnicity, first language, religion or belief, or family, marital, parental, military, or veteran status in any aspect of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, discipline, terminations, wages and salary, benefits, training, and professional development.
Great Camp Sagamore’s Store is the first place many visitors see when they visit Great Camp Sagamore, and the Store Manager is often the first person a visitor meets. Guests come to the Store to check in for guided historical tours, hikes, and paddles, and then they return to shop after the tour. Overnight guests at Great Camp Sagamore visit throughout the day to purchase ice cream, souvenirs, and books. Often, hikers exploring the surrounding trails also stop in to see what Great Camp Sagamore is all about.
The successful Store Manager is someone with retail management experience who enjoys interacting with members of the public. The Store is integral to camp operations, and as a member of the management team at Great Camp Sagamore, this position collaborates with year-round staff to help integrate the Store into camp operations.
Store Manager is responsible for:
- Handling operations on the retail floor
- Assisting Historical Interpreters with checking in visitors for the guided historical tours, hikes, and paddles
- Answering questions over the phone and by email about Great Camp Sagamore’s guided excursions
- Setting up the Store at the beginning of the season and placing items back in inventory at the end
- Attractively displaying merchandise throughout the season
- Maintaining inventory and pricing in Square
- Ordering merchandise as needed during the season
- Reconciling the Store’s accounts at the end of each day and giving the sales reports and daily cash receipts to Sagamore’s Finance & Office Manager
- Process incoming merchandise, including inputting items into Square and displaying items on the sales floor
- Training one of Sagamore’s Historical Interpreters to manage the store on your days off
- Training all historical interpreters so they can assist with sales and tour guests when they check in
- Retail sales experience required. Retail management experience preferred
- Strong customer service skills
- Outgoing and self-motivated
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Experience with point-of-sale inventory software systems - Great Camp Sagamore uses Square for merchandise sales and FareHarbor for day guest registrations.
- Meticulous attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Lift boxes up to 30 pounds, use step ladders, able to stand for extended periods of time
How to Apply
Send your resume, cover letter, and list of three references to Emily Martz, Executive Director, at email@example.com.