Work in the Service of Others in the Land of the Midnight Sun
Come join us on the final frontier and experience some of the best hiking, skiing, backpacking and camping in the world. Witness the northern lights, breathtaking sunsets and our rich wild life. While at the same time, engaging in projects that make a tangible effect on the Alaskan community. Join us on the final frontier for this life changing adventure that you will never forget.
Many of the positions that we post here are AmeriCorps Member positions based in Anchorage or South Central Alaska. We also have annual opportunities in Ketchikan, Prince of Wales Island, Kotzebue and Dillingham.
About Rural Alaska Community Action Program, Inc.
RurAL CAP is a nonprofit that seeks to protect and improve the quality of life for low income and Native Alaskans. RuRAL CAP provides a variety of services that directly address the needs of these vulnerable populations. This includes housing support, community development, job training, and schooling. We emphasize being respectful to all people and the native tribes. Alaska presents the unique opportunity to grow as an individual while also experiencing unparalleled outdoor adventures.
The Employee Experience
All AmeriCorps members start their year of service with hands-on training that connects them to the work and to one another. This program strives to create a unique sense of community and support for each of our relocating AmeriCorps members. AmeriCorps prides itself on the community and the relationships that their members develop during their year of service. The jobs that are available for the VISTA volunteers range from project to project and area to area. However, every VISTA member will gain mentoring, on the job experience and the unique opportunity to create and implement creative solutions to real-world problems.
While living in Alaska VISTA's will also have great access to outdoor recreation, to native arts and culture, and to a new way of life. Alaska presents a truly unique opportunity to experience all that nature has to offer.
Our ideal candidate has
- A passion for working for others
- An adventurous spirit
- An ability to work with a team
- Effective communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- A desire to work in the service of others and to help those in need
Room and Board
- Housing varies depending on the location of the AmeriCorps service.
- The program staff here help AmeriCorps members find affordable housing and provide a monthly housing stipend to help with first months rent.
- Our program has over 20 years of experience helping AmeriCorps VISTA members find housing in the Anchorage area.
- Discount housing for members of the AmeriCorps.
- Bus passes to get around the city.
- Five thousand dollar educational stipend that can go towards paying off student loans or tuition payments.
Getting Here and Getting Around
- Travel to the site at the beginning of the service year will be reimbursed.
- All sites are accessible through airplane through Alaska Airlines.
- Bike commuting is encouraged, but walking and biking trails are abundant.
- Sites in Anchorage are accessible by car however, sites in Ketchikan and Prince of Wales Island are not reachable by car.
- Biking and walking trails provide an easy means for getting around town.
- Most service communities have public transit. Bus passes will be purchased for members that desire them.
Alaska is world renowned for its natural beauty and its hiking, biking, camping, and skiing. No matter your outdoor recreational pursuit, it probably exists here. Anchorage has an incredible trail system that includes 100+ miles of paved, off-road bike trails, most of which are groomed for skiing in the winter. We also boast one of North America's best ski hills. Come for the service. Love your weekends!