Off Grid Lifestyle Immersion - Dog Sled Guide-In-Training
Sled Dogs, Lake Superior, BWCA, Superior Hiking Trail, 10,000 Lakes
- Hovland, Minnesota
- $12.00 - $15.00 / hour + tips
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Calling all adventure-seekers and dog-lovers! This is not work, it’s a passion-filled lifestyle.
Part to full time+ employment from December 1st through mid April 2023 as a Dog Sledding Tour Guide, once skills are learned. It is part time for the training period and then full time once the busy tour season begins in late December through March.
No specific experience required but a background in dog obedience or dog behavior would be helpful. We have an intense, detailed immersion training that will teach you what you need to know to work safely and confidently with the dogs. With an adventurous spirit, positive attitude and a desire to learn, you will have an experience of a lifetime. (Note that although we LOVE dogs, you can not bring your own dog with you)
Points Unknown is a one-of-a-kind sled dog facility, fully off-grid homestead, and small, woman-owned adventure business located in the Northwoods of northeastern most Minnesota. We offer unique hands-on experiences ranging from Dog Sledding Tours, Mindful Paddling into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, Hiking and Canicross Guiding, Girls’ & Women’s Outdoor Mentorship Programs, experiences in our on-site Beeswax Candle Studio, and more. We also have a Guest Suite and two Tiny Log Cabins that we rent to the public for lifestyle immersion experiences or as home bases for adventure in the area. The sled dogs are, of course, the focus.
Our programs are immersive, unique, and intimate. We focus on providing quality outdoor education experiences for individuals, families and small groups. Points Unknown revolves around our kennel of traditional sled dogs and is powered by a tight-knit team of 4 people or less at any given time, including the owner.
The atmosphere here in the woods is typically quiet and peaceful. In the height of winter, things pick up and the environment tends to be more fast paced between sledding tours, caring for the dogs, snow removal and other off-grid tasks. Snow removal in and around the dog kennels is a big part of the winter activities.
This position is best suited for a physically fit person who loves dogs, adventure, being outdoors, learning new skills, and is able to work long hours outside. While this job can be physically and mentally demanding, it is also immensely empowering and fulfilling.
Those who value healthy communication, positive community, diversity and personal growth will excel here. Determination, flexibility, punctuality, and an ability to adjust based on constructive feedback will set you up for success in our unique learning environment.
Housing is available onsite with the rent being removed from your paycheck each month. You must have a reliable vehicle of your own for this position.
- Learn how to run a kennel dedicated to the highest standards of cleanliness, safety, and canine wellness.
- Become an outdoor guide who is able to help, inspire and educate people of all ages who may be new to wilderness adventures; these experiences for some guests are life-changing.
- Develop in-the-moment problem solving skills by finding balance between time-tested dog-handling protocols and adapting to changing circumstances
- Gain keen observation skills in the wilderness, on dog-sled trails, and regarding canine mental and physical health
- Learn science-based practices for behavioral dog training and puppy brain development that build confidence, resilience, and well-rounded adult dogs
- Experience unique homesteading opportunities not offered to the public (seasonal) including maple tapping, traditional Wild Rice harvesting, Straw Bale gardening, photographing Northern Lights, finding agates on the shores of the world’s largest freshwater lake, and more
How to Apply
The ability to follow directions and be detail oriented is a job requirement. Please send a cover letter and a resume to Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will then be sent a questionnaire to begin the process. Be prepared to provide three business references and two personal references after the return of the completed questionnaire, if your application advances. We want this position to be the very best fit for you and for us. Our screening process helps to facilitate this goal.