Pali Institute is now hiring outdoor educators for our fall 2019 season!
Come explore Southern California and the San Bernardino Mountains!
- Running Springs, California
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (Aug 19, 2019)
Now Hiring for Fall 2019, Starting August 19th!
Located in the high mountains of southern California, The Pali Institute is the leader of quality outdoor education and experiential learning. Our field instructors are given the opportunity to teach a vastly diverse student body an assortment of science, leadership, and outdoor skills related curriculum. With over 74 acres of pine and hardwood forest, plus our five high ropes courses and zip lines, instructors are always finding new and exciting ways to teach the next generation valuable life skills. While simultaneously sparking students excitement and curiosity for science, conservation, and the natural world.
~ Currently Hiring For Fall 2019 ~
Our instructors teach activity groups during the day as well as take on the role of cabin instructor during meals and in the evenings. Our science curriculum covers a broad array of topics such as ecology, geology, biology, and physical sciences. We foster and encourage personal and social growth with the help of our team building sessions, low ropes course, five high ropes courses, and two zip lines. In addition to Leadership and Science curriculum, we also focus on Outdoor Education which includes hikes, LNT principles, and basic camping skills. Evening programming includes activities with a focus on science such as astronomy or night hikes as well as activities designed around the traditional camp experiences including dances, karaoke, and variety shows.
During cabin time, instructors can customize the students’ free time, gearing activities or relaxation time towards sharing personal passions like music or art, or adventuring out to play games during an exploratory hike. By the end of the week, our instructors are able to reflect on both the rewards of working with children and teaching in the outdoors.
- Experience in the camping and/or experiential education fields.
- Be comfortable and confident supervising and teaching students in large and small groups.
- Must be able to have fun with kids, laugh at yourself and be silly!
- Must have the ability to be flexible and adjust to changes quickly.
- Must have the ability to work in a team environment with 60+ other staff!
- Have a positive attitude.
- Handle concerns/issues in a constructive manner.
- Must be able to receive constructive feedback and apply the information in a timely manner.
- The ability to learn and execute the lessons/activities in an expansive curriculum.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must pass a federal and state background check and drug test.
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Must be at least 21 years old
Geographically there is no better location for the outdoor recreation enthusiast! Love the beach? Venice and the Santa Monica Pier are less than two hours from your front door. Need to escape to the desert? Joshua Tree National Park is right down the road. Want to stay local? The mountain that Pali is located on is home to three ski resorts, multiple rock climbing crags, hiking trails, and camp sites. The community at Pali is constantly seeking the next adventure. On any given weekend there are multiple groups heading across southern California.
Hours: This is a full-time seasonal position. Our Spring season begins January 2, 2019 with different length contracts available. You can expect to be in cabin 75% of the time.
Program Type: Pali is a Residential School Program.
Benefits: Pro-Deals, 50% of healthcare covered after 90 days, living in Southern California, and working with awesome, like-minded people!
Housing: Instructors are provided off-site housing accommodation for weekend and out of cabin use. During the week staff lives on-site in cabins.
Wages/Pay: Weekly salary with additional pay for each night in cabin ($25.00). Additional pay bumps available for education or experience.