Seeking Talented Trail Work Leaders
World-class Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail
- Southern Washington and Oregon
- Previous experience required
The Pacific Crest Trail Association, headquartered in Sacramento, California is dedicated to protecting, preserving and promoting the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. The following staff position is currently open:
Assistant Trail Crew Leader (One position to be filled)
June 21 to September 26, working in Southern Washington and Oregon
Lead the nation’s premier volunteer-based trail crew programs on the spectacular Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. This is a great career-building opportunity for rising professionals.
In this position you will have the opportunity to:
- Work with and supervise volunteer trail crews while teaching them trail maintenance skills
- Coordinate and oversee projects on the Pacific Crest Trail
- Spend time outdoors and on the trail
The position is a full-time seasonal staff position working on trail projects in Oregon and Washington. Weekly compensation will average between $600-800. Dependable personal transportation, a good driving record, and auto insurance is required and mileage is reimbursed.
We are seeking applicants with:
- Minimum of two years of relevant professional experience or five years of substantial volunteer experience
- Experience in training, managing, and leading trail crews
- Trail design, construction, and maintenance skills
- Familiarity with menu planning and cooking for groups in backcountry settings
- Backcountry living and Leave No Trace skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to travel on the PCT in remote, backcountry locations, requiring several days of backcountry travel and living
- Proven experience in working with volunteers
- Ability to physically perform trail work
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Minimum basic OSHA compliant first aid and CPR certifications, wilderness first aid preferred
- Chain and crosscut saw certification desirable
Pacific Crest Trail Association is an Equal Opportunity Provider.
How to Apply
Please e-mail resume and letter of interest detailing applicable qualifications to Hiring Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Assistant Crew Leader”. All attachments must include applicant’s last name in file name. Deadline to apply is 3/5/2018. Additional information available online at www.pcta.org. For questions, contact Jennifer Tripp at 916-285-1853.