We are seeking a Head Chef to join our fantastic team!
lush forest landscapes and beautiful waterfalls
- Sublimity, Oregon
- $3,700.00 - $3,700.00 / month
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Mar 01, 2023)
Position type: Full time, salaried, seasonal
Season: March 1--October 31, 2023
Location: Silver Falls State Park, Sublimity, Oregon (60 miles from Portland, Oregon)
Compensation: $3,700 average monthly salary; 8 days PTO
Perks: Meals provided while working/Basic housing on site/Staff housing in greater Portland/Salem area for subsidized rate (optional)
Program: Opal Creek Outdoor School (spring/fall); YMCA Camp Silver Creek Camp (summer) Work schedule: ODS: Mondays-Fridays; YMCA: Sundays-Fridays: 2 weeks on, 1 week off (always Saturdays off); averaging 8 hrs/day
As the Head Chef, you create, plan, purchase, and facilitate a rotating menu of buffet-style meals in our renowned Opal Creek Kitchen. We believe it’s the most delicious food you’ll ever find in a camp facility: seasonal, hearty, kid- and adult-friendly fare. Your backdrop will be the forests, creeks, and waterfalls of Silver Falls State Park, Oregon’s most beloved and largest state park and the ancestral home of the Kalapuya and Molalla Tribes.
After a three-year hiatus, the Opal Creek Kitchen is relaunching to support both outdoor school and camp programming. Over the course of the season, you’ll design a menu, secure vendors and arrange deliveries, cater meals to guests’ dietary restrictions and allergies, purchase food and manage a budget, and oversee the health and safety of the kitchen. You’ll lead a team of four cooks that prepare meals for on average 100 people and as many as 160 people. As the first Head Chef in a new location, you’ll play a key role in shaping the food service experience for students, campers, and staff for years to come!
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
A successful candidate will possess these minimum qualifications. We are less interested in the titles you’ve held and more interested in what you’ve actually done and who you are.
● 2+ years food service coordination experience, including: menu-planning, ordering, and dietary accommodations
● 2+ years in a high-volume, commercial, or camp-like kitchen
● Previous experience with from-scratch cooking and baking
● Previous experience mentoring/supervising adults
● Strong hospitality skills
● Strong communication skills, written and verbal
● Strong organizational skills & attention to detail
● Previous experience integrating equity, inclusion, and cultural relevance into food service and the workplace
● COVID-19 vaccine (by time of employment)
● Safe food handling practices
● Able to pass a criminal background check
How to Apply
How to Apply & Timeline
Please submit an application by visiting the employment page of our website. The application includes a series of questions and asks you to upload a detailed resume in PDF format. Be sure to include any relevant experience and certifications, both professional and personal experience.
Position open until filled. There are two interviews conducted in February, and the ideal start date is March 1, 2023.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and to request any accommodations needed during this hiring process. We’ll do our best to respond to all queries and to keep all applicants up to date on how the process unfolds.