Residential, Seasonal Staff Opportunities at World-Renowned Holistic Retreat Center
Omega Institute for Holistic Studies - Retreat Center in New York's Hudson Valley
- Rhinebeck, New York
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 2 months. (May 29, 2023)
We seek individuals who are professional, are committed to providing exemplary work in support of our mission, and who model our values – Holism, Community, Sustainability, Service, and Integrity. Seasonal Staff members represent Omega as excellent stewards of professional and compassionate service. The work and customer service that they provide are an integral part of their time here. Every interaction staff have with fellow team members, participants, teachers, and colleagues are at the heart of creating the Omega experience.
Cafe Cook: The Omega Café is an independent facility within the Omega Food & Beverage Dept. The Omega Café provides a welcoming, shared space where participants, staff, faculty and the public can gather, enjoy light meals, snacks, and beverages. The Café also offers space for workshops and special events to meet and is host to book signings, concerts, and craft fairs.
The Café Cook is responsible for preparing made-to-order food for guests.
In service to this responsibility, Cooks will set up an efficient station at the start of each shift, and prep as necessary to make sure all items are available to order. A number of tasks in the café are shared among the various staff on duty, and the shift coordinator assigns such tasks based on need and personnel. Cooks will rarely be expected to use the cash register or espresso machine, but will often be assigned tasks such as delivering food to tables, tending to the coffee station, or washing dishes, as needed.
• Prepare food to order
• Stock the line and station
• Maintain cleanliness in the kitchen (clearing work surfaces, sweeping, etc.)
• Run dish washer and put dishes away
• Prep food items for use
• Work with lead cooks to place and receive orders from outside vendors and the main kitchen
• Work with knives, equipment with moving blades, open stovetop flames, hot oven, steam, and oil
• Regularly lift/move/carry heavy items.
• Work in a constant state of alertness
• Serve food to tables
• Be informed about all aspects of the food served including providers, ingredients, and available choices
• Perform deep cleaning tasks in kitchen, storeroom, café and deck
• Be welcoming and prove expedient service to all patrons
Housekeeping Staff: Housekeeping is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the public bathrooms and the preparation of participant housing on transition days (Fridays and Sundays). Other responsibilities include linen pick-up delivery and the ordering/ delivery of paper products and supplies.
• Cleaning public bathrooms
• Making beds
• Stocking paper supplies
• Washing rag laundry
• Plunging and cleaning clogged toilets
• Creating kits to be used to make the beds
• Maintaining general order in all HSK spaces (including storage spaces located throughout the campus)
• Delivery of supplies requested by other departments
• Pick-up of dirty linens from other departments
• Driving the golf cart, carrying and using radio for communications with other HSK staff and other departments
• Attendance at the weekly staff meeting is mandatory and is included in your work hours
• Giving direction and training to Service Corps Housekeepers and Floats who work in HSK on transition days
Dining Services Server: The Omega Dining Hall is a large, full-scale, food-production facility. We produce and serve up to 2,500 mostly plant-based meals per day as well as breads and desserts for both the Dining Hall and the Omega Café. Servers report directly to the Shift-Co on duty. They are responsible for positive guest interactions and the service, presentation, and clean up of the Main Dining Room, Staff Dining Room, and Faculty Dining Room.
- During meal service, be present and attentive to his or her station, general support tasks, and guest needs at all times
- Tend to routine deep cleaning
- Work around knives and hot steam; carry hot pans
- Regularly lift/carry/move heavy items
- Work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner
- Check-in with Shift-Co immediately upon arrival to shift, when returning from break, after completion of each task, and whenever clarification is necessary
- Integrate Omega’s core values and manager feedback into work performance
- Be proactive in remaining productive and communicating notable, work-related matters to Shift-Co
- Maintain professional appearance by tending to regular grooming and following Food & Beverage dress code
- Attend mandatory meetings
- Maintain a professional work environment within the communal setting
- Maintain and respect healthy boundaries with managers, coworkers, guests, and community members while on shift
- Move with focus and intention through the kitchen and main dining room
- Prioritize the service experience by maintaining a flexible and realistic work availability
Seasonal staff work full-time, between late May through the mid October. Seasonal staff receive a compensation package that includes:
Three delicious meals per day in our mostly vegetarian Dining Hall
Access to Omega’s team member benefits
*This compensation package is at minimum equivalent to the New York State minimum wage.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.