Learn artisan trade skills in clay, wood, concrete, metal. - Includes room and board
High on a ridge overlooking the Pacific Ocean, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Mar 27, 2023)
Join a one-of-a kind Buddhist art project. You will learn the craftmanship of working with metal (welding and shaping), concrete (rounded and decorative forms), wood, and clay (sculpting, firing and assembly). We are creating a circular walkway of large-scale Buddhist art surrounding the main temple of Odiyan. Seeking resident volunteers for our season - March/April to November. Start date is flexible.
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with a balcony, one roommate.
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Living allowance of $200 per month/$300 after one year.
- Opportunities for meditation, mantra, Buddhist practices, and classes.
This is a unique opportunity to live within a long-standing Buddhist community. We are seeking individuals who have an interest in Buddhism and are eager to learn new trade skills or share their own. The way of life that has developed at Odiyan over the past 40 years is a retreat-like environment dedicated to meaningful work.
- Seasonal position: start in March or April, stay through mid-November
- Physically strong, good with working with your hands. Some experience working with tools is preferred, but not required.
- Genuine interest in the Buddhist path which includes questioning/examining the self, mind, beliefs and patterns of behavior
- Able to committee to the season of March to November (start and end dates are flexible).
Odiyan is a physically active lifestyle where gaining self-knowledge and giving to a higher vision are honored values.
See our Volunteer Page
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see our photos on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter Follow us on Instagram for great stories! https://www.instagram.com/odiyan_mandala/
How to Apply
Go to Odiyan Volunteer page. Click on Contact Us. Fill out the form and we will get back to you right away.
- Couples are welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community
We require full vaccination for all new residents, including one booster.