Learn artisan trade skills in clay, wood, concrete, metal. - includes room and board
High on a ridge overlooking the Pacific Ocean, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Join a one-of-a kind Buddhist art project. You will learn the craftmanship of working with metal (welding and shaping), concrete (rounded and decorative forms), wood, and clay (sculpting, firing and assembly). We are creating a circular walkway of large-scale Buddhist symbolic art surrounding the main temple of Odiyan.
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with a balcony, one roommate.
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Living allowance of $200 per month/$300 after one year.
- Opportunities for meditation, mantra, Buddhist practices, and classes.
This is a unique opportunity to live within a long-standing Buddhist community. We are seeking individuals who have an interest in Buddhism and self-inquiry, and are eager to learn new trade skills or share their own. The way of life that has developed at Odiyan over the past 40 years is a retreat-like environment dedicated to meaningful work.
- Minimum commitment of six months.
- You must be physically strong and good with working with your hands. Some experience working with hand tools is preferred, but not required.
Odiyan is a physically active lifestyle where gaining self-knowledge and giving to a higher vision are honored values.
See our Volunteer Page
How to Apply
Download our application here.
or contact us firstname.lastname@example.org to have the application emailed to you.
- Couples are welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community
We are requesting full vaccination for all new residents, including one booster.