Metalwork/Welding Buddhist Sacred Art
Sonoma County, Northern California coast, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Do you enjoy hands-on work fabricating large-scale projects in metal, clay, and wood? Are you interested in wax sculptures, metal craft, and casting and welding bronze?
Our team is seeking hardy, strong resident volunteers to be involved in producing Buddhist statues during 2021 in our long-standing sacred art foundry.
Living and working at Odiyan includes:
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with a balcony, one roommate.
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Morning practices in chanting, Buddhist prayers, and meditation, classes related to Buddhist teachings.
- Living allowance of $150 per month, $216 per month after one year.
You will also learn: how to cook vegetarian meals, clean and landscape around the Temples, work in the vegetable gardens, care for the animals, general maintenance of equipment, machines, temples and living facilities. At Odiyan we take care of everything!
- Enough experience working with tools and small machines that you can say you are handy and able to learn most new tools and techniques. Experience in any of these fields: woodwork, metalwork, construction, electric and plumbing, HVAC, landscaping, farming, painting, concrete, stonework.
- Experience in foundry work is a plus!
- Physically strong, able to do manual work for hours each day, including repeated lifting, bending, kneeling.
- Minimum commitment of six months.
Odiyan's mission is to be a home for the preservation of the sacred art, symbols and teachings of Tibetan Buddhism. Odiyan also supports all Buddhist traditions in Asia and monastic Buddhist centers and schools throughout the Himalayan region.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a higher vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and ongoing work projects benefit both yourself and all humanity.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see our photos on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter
Follow us on Instagram for great stories! https://www.instagram.com/odiyan_mandala/