Join the Vegetable Garden Team at our Tibetan Buddhist Center
Sonoma County, Northern California coast, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
Learn new skills in gardening and farming, live in a community of like-minded people, eat great homegrown vegetarian food, help out with cooking, landscaping and sacred art projects. You can take advantage of classes on Buddhism and yoga, participate in meditation and chanting and live in one of the most beautiful Buddhist centers in the world.
Seeking resident volunteers for a minimum of six months to work in vegetable gardens. You need to be strong and physically able to work with your body all day, often for long hours - lifting, bending, being on your knees, on your feet, using hand tools and small machines. The ideal garden volunteer follows the lead of our experienced gardeners and is also a self-starter who can take initiative and learn by doing.
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with a balcony
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
- Living allowance of $150 per month.
You will have the opportunity to:
Learn and share your own knowledge in all aspects of the gardening process from seeding and greenhouse work, soil prep, planting, cultivating, harvesting, preserving and cooking your homegrown food. Like all Odiyan residents, you will also participate in kitchen work, chores and helping with other community projects such as sacred art and construction projects.
We are seeking someone with a sincere interest and enthusiasm for organic vegetable gardening. Someone with enough garden experience to understand, and not be deterred by the very hard, and deeply rewarding, work of growing your own food. You must be strong, physically able to do manual work for hours each day, including lifting, bending, kneeling.
- Minimum commitment is six months.
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a greater vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see our photos on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter.
Follow us on Instagram for great stories! https://www.instagram.com/odiyan_mandala/