California Buddhist Center seeking hard-working volunteers
Sonoma County, Northern California coast, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Oct 05, 2020)
We are seeking resident volunteers for metalwork and construction. Help us renovate an outdoor Buddhist pavilion. Participate in finishing the most extensive known installation of Buddhist art and sacred text plaques surrounding the Main Temple of Odiyan.
Living and working at Odiyan includes:
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with a balcony, one roommate.
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Morning practices in chanting, Buddhist prayers and meditation, classes related to Buddhist teachings.
- Living allowance of $150 per month.
You will also learn: how to cook vegetarian meals, clean and landscape around the Temples, work in the vegetable gardens, care for the animals, general maintenance of equipment, machines, temples and living facilities. At Odiyan we take care of everything!
- College degree or significant training in any specific skill
- Experience working with tools and/or small machines in any of these fields: woodwork, metalwork, construction, building, landscaping, farming, painting, concrete, stonework.
- Physically strong, able to do manual work for hours each day, including repeated lifting, bending, kneeling.
- Minimum commitment of six months.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a higher vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and on-going work projects benefit both yourself and all humanity.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see our photos on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter
Follow us on Instagram for great stories! https://www.instagram.com/odiyan_mandala/
How to Apply
To get started on the application process, email us your resume and a short statement about why this opportunity interests you. Add a clear photo of yourself, if you like! If you have any questions or just want to chat about living and working at Odiyan, don't hesitate to call.
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community