Build a temple, Create Buddhist statues
Sonoma County, Northern California coast, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- Odiyan Buddhist Retreat Center, California
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Feb 02, 2020)
Learn new skills, live in a community of like-minded people, eat great home grown vegetarian food. You can take advantage of classes on Buddhism and yoga, participate in meditation and chanting and live in one of the most beautiful Buddhist centers in the world.
Seeking resident volunteers for metal work and construction. You need to be strong and able to work hard physically all day. Previous experience with tools and small machines in preferred.
Although Odiyan has its foundations in Tibetan Buddhism, no religious affiliation is required to join the team. The ideal volunteer is open-minded, self-reflective and ready to engage deeply on both internally and with the work.
Living and working at Odiyan includes:
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with balcony, one roomate.
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
- Living allowance of $150 per month.
You will have the opportunity to learn:
All types of electric and motor hand tools, metal fabrication, painting, concrete work, building, electrical work, plus all the steps and skills for creating life-size bronze statuary.
All new residents also participate in vegetable gardening, landscaping, maintenance and cleaning and we will teach you vegetarian cooking!
- You must be strong, physically able for manual work for hours each day, including repeated lifting, bending, kneeling.
- Minimum commitment is six months. We prefer nine months.
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a greater vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see our photos on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter
Follow us on Instagram for great stories! https://www.instagram.com/odiyan_mandala/
How to Apply
To get started on the application process, email us your resume, a short statement about why this opportunity interests you. Add a clear photo of yourself, if you like! If you have any questions or just want to chat about living and working at Odiyan, don't hesitate to call.