Metalwork/Welding Buddhist sacred Art
California coast, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- No experience required
Do you enjoy hands-on work fabricating large-scale projects in metal, clay, and wood? Are you interested in wax sculptures, metal craft, and casting and welding bronze?
Our team is seeking hardy, strong resident volunteers to be involved with our extensive Sacred Art project fabricating small to large Buddhist statues.
No experience needed. We will train you!
Odiyan Retreat Center offers a challenging and rewarding live-work retreat program where work is the vehicle for your inner development. You will mainly participate in detailed wax sculpture repair, mold making, bronze casting, statue breakout, sanding and polishing.
Outside of the Foundry, part of your working hours will also include cooking, kitchen clean-up, harvesting in vegetable gardens, maintaining the Temples, landscaping, and tending to our wildlife (exotic birds, horses, dogs etc).
- Free housing in large room with balcony
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- A living allowance of $100 per month
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food.
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit, Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, meditation and more
- Opportunity to engage in a wholesome lifestyle of self-sufficiency, meaningful work, inner development, and taking responsibility.
- Training in all aspects of metal sculpture production
- Comfortable with heavy lifting, good manual dexterity and multi-limb coordination while using hand tools such as grinders, polishers, and sandblasters
- No experience required but you must be large-framed and strong for this work
- Eager for a hard-working wholesome lifestyle of service
- Minimum age of 23 years old
- Minimum commitment is 6 months
- The ideal volunteer is open-minded, self-reflective and ready to engage deeply on both inner and outer levels. Couples are welcome
- We cannot accept children or animal companions
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
Start dates: between Aug. 19 annd Sept. 30. Minimum commitment is six months.
We are seeking people who have a sincere interest in Buddhism and exploring work as a path to inner freedom. Our weekly schedule is rigorous (6 days a week) and rewarding!
Learn more about us:
Odiyan Retreat Center is located on a 1000-acre spiritual and ecological preserve in rural Sonoma County, Northern California. We are perched on top of a ridge overlooking rolling mountains and the Pacific Ocean. Odiyan is modeled after Tibet's first monastery—a three-dimensional mandala. This mandala strives to manifests a way of life that integrates work with a path of self-exploration.
How to Apply
Send your resume, a clear photo of yourself and a statement about why this interests you to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or give us a call 510-981-1987 Odiyan Volunteer Office