Metalwork/Welding Buddhist sacred art
California coast, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts soon! (Jan 08, 2020)
Do you enjoy hands-on work fabricating large-scale projects in metal, clay, and wood? Are you interested in wax sculptures, metal craft, and casting and welding bronze?
Our team is seeking hardy, strong resident apprentices to be involved with our extensive Sacred Art project fabricating small to large Buddhist statues.
Odiyan Retreat Center is located on a 1000-acre spiritual and ecological preserve in rural Sonoma County, Northern California. We are perched on top of a ridge overlooking rolling mountains and the Pacific Ocean. Odiyan is modeled after Tibet's first monastery—a three-dimensional mandala. This mandala strives to manifests a way of life that integrates work with a path of self-exploration.
Odiyan Retreat Center offers a challenging and rewarding live-work retreat program where the work is a vehicle for your inner development. You will mainly participate in detailed wax sculpture repair, mold making, bronze casting, statue breakout, sanding, and polishing. You may also help with other on-site projects such as temple construction or forestry work.
Part of your working hours will also include cooking, kitchen clean-up, harvesting in vegetable gardens, maintaining the Temples, landscaping, and tending to our wildlife (exotic birds, horses, dogs, etc). At Odiyan, the longer you stay, the more varied your work becomes as you take on areas of responsibility of interest to you!
- Free housing in a large room with a balcony
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- A living allowance of $150 per month
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food.
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit, Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, meditation and more
- Opportunity to engage in a wholesome lifestyle of self-sufficiency, meaningful work, inner development, and taking responsibility.
- Comfortable with heavy lifting, good manual dexterity, and multi-limb coordination while using hand tools such as grinders, polishers, and sandblasters
- No experience required but you must be large framed and strong to handle this work.
- Minimum commitment is 6 months
- The ideal volunteer is open-minded, self-reflective and ready to engage deeply on both inner and outer levels. Couples are welcome.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
Join our team now!
We are seeking people who have a sincere interest in Buddhism and exploring work as a path to inner freedom. Our weekly schedule is rigorous and rewarding!
Learn more about us:
Visit https://odiyan.org/volunteer for details, photos and everything you need to know about living and working at Odiyan Retreat Center. Flip through our photo albums on Facebook or Instagram to get a taste of life at Odiyan.
How to Apply
Send your resume and a statement about why this interests you (and a photo too, if you like!) to email@example.com
Or call us at 510-981-1987 Odiyan Volunteer Office.
We will respond within 48 hours.