Learn or contribute hands-on skills in construction (metal, concrete, wood, electrical).
Expansive views of Pacific Ocean, hills and forests, Buddhist Temples and sacred art forms.
- Sonoma County, CA, 100 miles north of San Francisco.
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Feb 04, 2019)
Join our international team at Odiyan, an all-volunteer Buddhist center on the coast in California. Participate in a completely unique sacred art building project making over 2000 prayer wheels to surround the Odiyan Main Temple.
Our team is seeking hardy, strong resident volunteers. Learn new skills, live in a community of like-minded people, eat great home grown vegetarian food, help out with an awesome one-of-a-kind project. You can take advantage of classes on Buddhism and yoga, participate in meditation and chanting and live in one of the most beautiful Buddhist centers in the world.
Living and working at Odiyan includes:
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with balcony
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
- Living allowance of $100 per month after the first month trial period, $150 per month after six months.
You will work at finishing the steel structure which supports the 2000 prayers wheels. You will help with the fabrication, assembly and mounting of the 2000 copper- cased prayer wheels made on-site here at Odiyan. Continuing through the spring and summer, you will be mounting stupas ( Buddhist sacred monuments), creating new landscaping around the prayer wheels, and mounting over 4000 laser engraved plaques of Buddhist texts.
Part of your working week will include cooking (don't worry - we teach you how to cook vegetarian), working in our in vegetable gardens, maintaining the Temples,Temple landscaping, and tending to our domesticated animals (birds, horses, dogs etc).
Although Odiyan has its foundations in Tibetan Buddhism no religious affiliation is required to join the team. The ideal volunteer is open-minded, self-reflective and ready to engage deeply both internally and with the work.
- Minimum age of 23 years old
- Minimum commitment is six months. But if it works out, you can stay longer!
- You must be strong, physically able for manual work every day, including lifting, bending, kneeling
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a greater vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see our photo albums on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter.
How to Apply
To get started on the application process, email us your resume, a short statement about why this opportunity interests you and clear photo of yourself. If you have any questions or just want to chat about living and working at Odiyan, don't hesitate to call us!