Meaningful work, Wholesome living and the Development of mind and spirit
California coast, 100 miles north of San Francisco
- Odiyan Buddhist Retreat Center, California
- No experience required
This is a live-work-study opportunity for people with a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self knowledge and giving to a greater vision.
About Odiyan: Founded in 1975 by Venerable Tarthang Tulku Rinpoche, Odiyan Retreat Center is located on a 1000-acre spiritual and ecological preserve in rural Northern California, north of San Francisco.
Living and working at Odiyan Retreat Center is a challenging live-work retreat lifestyle that integrates work with a path of self-knowledge. The community life, classes and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
Looking for hardy people aged 24-45 who truly like to work, can engage manual labor on a daily basis and who have an interest in learning or expanding skills in construction, organic vegetable gardening, landscaping and vegetarian cooking.
Odiyan is open to applicants who want to live and work with us for at least six months, although we prefer nine months. For those who find the Odiyan way of life a good match, long-term residency is a future option.
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in large room with balcony
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Living allowance $100 per months after first month, $150 per month after 6 months.
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
- Minimum age of 24 years old
- Physically able to engage manual work for hours a day
- Minimum commitment is six months, prefer nine months.
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug free community.
We are seeking people who have a sincere interest in Buddhism, who desire the challenge of self-reflection and studying their own mind.
2018 Work Projects:
Help create over 2,000 large Prayers Wheels to surround the Main Temple of Odiyan. The purpose of this year-long project is to reverse the negative momentum of our world, restore balance in nature and heal the pain of so many beings who are victims of war, hatred and natural disasters.
You will learn:
All types of electric and motor hand tools, sanding, welding, copper fabrication, metal cutting, polishing, finishing, painting, concrete work, building, electrical work, solar panel installation.
You will also participate in land work, gardening or landscaping and vegetarian cooking and other kitchen work.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see us on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter.
How to Apply
To get started on the application process, email us your resume, a short statement about why this opportunity interests you and clear photo of yourself. If you have any questions or just want to chat about living and working at Odiyan, don't hesitate to call us!