Live, work, and practice in this residential program at a Buddhist Center!
Located in Berkeley with stunning views of the Golden Gate bridge.
- Berkeley, California
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Jun 01, 2022)
Looking for an unusual, hands-on opportunity? Like to dive right into experiences?
Join our established volunteer-run organization for a six-month work-study program, with a focus on integrating practice with daily life and activities. Participants need not identify as Buddhists, though a sincere interest in self-reflection, developing one’s potential, and the spirit of service are essential. We are seeking motivated, diverse, and talented applicants who are mature, grounded, and enjoy contributing through their work.
As part of this work-study program, you will live in a beautiful environment that is also a meditation and Tibetan yoga center with a breathtaking view of the Golden Gate Bridge and more. Vegetarian meals are provided on site, created from fresh ingredients that are organic whenever possible.
We are a Buddhist center with a welcoming orientation; open to those seeking meaningful ways of working and living. Our online classes are free for our full-time work-study participants. There is also an opportunity to participate in workshops and retreats.
This program includes: housing in a beautiful, serene setting in Berkeley; vegetarian meals; free classes; a unique community living and working experience! We also include a stipend of $250 per month for basic living expenses. We are a volunteer-run and staffed organization; come join us for 6 months or more.
Residential Work-Practice at a Buddhist Center
Meditation apps not doing enough for you? Looking for another way of living? Want to engage spiritual practice in a practical way? Join a six-month residential program that integrates awareness practices with work, taking a holistic and grounded approach to living mindfully and problem-solving with grace. As part of this program, you have the opportunity to engage teachings with secular applications such as Kum Nye Tibetan yoga and meditation, as well as the option to learn traditional and culturally rooted forms such as visualization, chanting, and offering from experienced senior students, including a Tibetan lama.
The program includes:
- Access to a full range of evening online classes on Meditation, Kum Nye Tibetan Yoga, Buddhist Studies, Tibetan Language, Nyingma Psychology and more
- Housing in a community setting in the foothills of Berkeley with a spectacular bay view, especially during sunsets
- Full engagement with work-practice as part of a small team
- Vegetarian meals, created with organic ingredients whenever possible
- A small living stipend reimbursement of $250/month
Work-practice may include:
- All aspects of managing and running an educational center; we are a small volunteer-run non-profit organization
- We try to find the best fit for your skills, but ask that participants adopt a flexible, as-needed attitude about work-practice assignments, which may include a mix of: registrar responsibilities, construction, marketing, fundraising, cleaning, gardening, cooking and more
- Possible opportunities to develop and gain skills in new areas as needed
You will learn:
- How the lens of meditation can be carried into your daily life, including work.
- How to more fully engage your experience through investigating mind, body, emotions, and thoughts
- What it means to engage a Bodhisattva path of action through service
Located in Berkeley, California, the Nyingma Institute offers retreats, workshops, and courses in seven fields of study. We seek residents who are interested in committing for six months or longer as part of our live-in staff. We do not require that you be Buddhist, only that you are curious about practices of investigating experience.
Please note that this is a full-time, intensive program with 6 days of structured work practice per week, with opportunities to participate in classes, workshops, and retreats.
We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis.
If you have any questions, we’d love to hear from you!