Assistant Cook at a Buddhist Retreat Center in Coastal Sonoma County
In the coastal redwoods of Northern Sonoma County, California
- $150.00 / month
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Feb 01, 2020)
We are a volunteer-run organization looking for an Assistant Cook to help operate our kitchen and create delicious vegetarian meals for our retreat guests and staff. Located in the beautiful coastal redwoods of Sonoma County in Northern California, this year-round residential work-study opportunity will allow your skills and enthusiasm to flourish. We are located in a remote area among the redwoods.
- Working with a team to prepare buffet-style vegetarian meals for 20-50 guests and staff for daily lunch and dinners and weekend breakfasts to include hot and cold entrees and salads, desserts, brunch, etc
- Food prep
- Cleaning of station, kitchen, and dishes used for cooking
- Buffet set-up
- Some ordering & inventory management
- Past experience working in a kitchen and/or Culinary Certification
- Appreciation for Vegetarian cuisine
- Reliable and hard-working
- Organized with attention to detail
- Experience with International Cuisine is a plus
- Baking skills are always welcome!
- Creative and flexible in a rapidly changing environment
- Open-mindedness and understanding of multiple dietary needs and restrictions
- Willingness to work as part of a team and patience with volunteer staff
- In addition to Assistant Cook, other positions and help needed may be available: office administration, hospitality, maintenance, grounds keeping. Please visit our website for more information and to apply.
As a volunteer in our work-study program, you will receive:
- Monthly living allowance
- Free housing (you may have a roommate).
- Free laundry facilities and supplies, Wi-Fi and domestic local and long distance phone calls
- Free vegetarian meals, tea and coffee
- Free classes in a variety of Buddhist studies: meditation, mantra, skillful means (work practice), Buddhist history and philosophy, Kum Nye (Tibetan yoga), and yoga
- Opportunity to engage in Buddhist community's ceremonies, celebrations, and practices
- Opportunity to engage in an environment where meaningful work and self-development are valued
- Clean, fresh air, wide-open spaces, natural beauty, close proximity to hiking trails and the Pacific Ocean
- The support of a caring, actively engaged conscious community that encourages building meaningful interpersonal relationships
Our weekly schedule is rigorous - 6 days a week and rewarding! Our work is our practice. This is a unique opportunity to get away from the daily grind, and live surrounded by nature, with little to no cell service but an array of books, quiet spaces, and more stars at night than you can count.
The minimum commitment preferred is 6 months but we do make exceptions on a case by case basis. No religious affiliation required, however, we are seeking those who have a sincere interest in Buddhism, a volunteer spirit and exploring work as a path to inner freedom. The minimum age is 23 years old. Couples are welcome to apply.
How to Apply
Please visit our website for more information about our program and to fill out an application. Please return all completed applications with supplemental materials to email@example.com. All applications must be complete in entirety in order to move onto the interview process.