Experienced Vegetarian Cook for Buddhist Retreat Center in Beautiful Coastal Sonoma County
In the beautiful coastal redwoods of northern Sonoma County, California
- Ratna Ling Retreat Center, Cazadero, California
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (May 01, 2019)
We are a volunteer-run organization and are looking for an experienced chef/cook to run our kitchen and create delicious 'family style' vegetarian meals for our staff and guests.
Located in the beautiful coastal redwoods of Sonoma County in northern California, this year-round residential work-study opportunity will allow your skills and enthusiasm to flourish. We are in a remote location in the redwoods, which can prove a challenge for some and an adventure to others!
- Assist in preparation of buffet-style vegetarian meals for 20-50 guests and staff for two meals per day Monday - Saturday
- Food preparation and cooking
- Menu and meal planning with the ability to lift 30 lbs
- Food ordering and kitchen inventory management
- General kitchen maintenance, cleaning, and sanitation
- Buffet set-up
- Position will report to our Executive Director
- Past experience working in a retreat center, commercial kitchen and/or restaurant as a chef/cook
- A volunteer spirit and can do attitude
- Appreciation for vegetarian cuisine
- Reliable, hard-working, and organized with attention to detail
- Experience with International Cuisine is a plus
- Baking skills are always welcome!
- Creative and flexible in a rapidly changing environment
- Open-mindedness and understanding of ever-changing dietary needs and trends
- Willingness to work as part of a team and patience with fellow volunteers
- In addition to this position, other positions available: maintenance, grounds keeping. See our website for more info and to apply.
As a volunteer in our work-study program, you will receive:
- Monthly living allowance/compensation (based on experience)
- Free housing in a rustic cabin with private bath, outdoor deck, gas fireplace (you may have a roommate).
- Free laundry facilities and supplies, Wi-Fi and domestic local and long distance phone calls
- Free vegetarian meals, tea, and coffee
- Free classes in a variety of Buddhist studies: meditation, mantra, skillful means (work practice) , Buddhist history and philosophy, Kum Nye (Tibetan yoga/Thai Chi), and yoga
- Opportunity to engage in Buddhist community's ceremonies, celebrations, and practices
- Opportunity to engage in an environment where meaningful work and self-development are valued
- Clean, fresh air, wide-open spaces, natural beauty, close proximity to hiking trails and the Pacific Ocean
- The support of a caring, actively engaged conscious community that encourages building meaningful interpersonal relationships
Our weekly schedule is rigorous - 6 days a week and rewarding! Our work is our practice. This is a unique opportunity to get away from the daily grind and text-emoji mania, and live surrounded by nature, with little to no cell service but plenty of books, quiet spaces, and more stars at night than you can count.
Minimum commitment preferred is 6 months but we do make exceptions on a case by case basis. No religious affiliation required, but we are seeking people who have a sincere interest in Buddhism, a volunteer spirit and exploring work as a path to inner freedom. Minimum age is 23 years old. Couples are welcome to apply.