Live and work for the summer in the Land of the Midnight Sun!
Rustic camp in Bristol Bay Alaska with ocean views and Alaskan wildlife.
- Naknek, Alaska
- $18.00 / hour
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts immediately!
The Rolling Stock Mechanic is responsible for the maintenance of all facility rolling stock including but not limited to forklifts, flatbeds, pallet jacks and all other company vehicles.
COVID-19 MANDATORY VACCINATION POLICY: In accordance with NPSI’s duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace, we will require all employees to be fully vaccinated (boosters strongly recommended) against COVID-19 effective January 1st, 2022. Applicants who are offered a position with NPSI who are in need of an exemption from this requirement due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief, must submit a completed Accommodation Request form to the Vice President of Human Resources to begin the interactive accommodation process as soon as the job offer is made. If you are offered a position and would like to request an Accommodation Request form, please call our corporate office at (206) 726-9900.
- Repair and preform preventative maintenance on all plant rolling stock.
- Lubricates vehicles, oils and replaces broken or worn parts.
- Inspects and repairs worn, malfunctioning or broken parts.
- Maintains records relating to the maintenance and repair of assigned vehicles.
- Examines vehicle and determines nature and extent of damage or malfunction.
- Repairs or replaces parts such as pistons, rods, gears, valves, and bearings.
- Overhauls or replaces carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starters, and pumps.
- Relines and adjusts brakes, aligns front end, repairs or replaces shock absorbers, and solders leaks in radiator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experienced mechanic with minimum four years on both gas and diesel vehicles.
- Able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment for up to 12 hours a day 7 days a week.
- Experience in forklift mechanics in all aspects including electrical preferred.
- Experience and understanding of hydraulics and hydraulic motors.
- Ability to troubleshoot and work independently.
- Hold a valid US Driver’s License.
- Able to take quick action, exercise independent decision making and resolution of mechanical issues.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must provide own tools.
Transportation, Room and Board
NPSI provides transportation from certain points of travel (generally, Seattle WA and Anchorage, AK) to the worksite and back, as well as room and board, for those employees who work until they are laid off. Employees who leave before the season ends may be responsible for their own transportation, and they will be charged $15 per day for room and board.
North Pacific Seafoods prohibits the use, sale, or possession of ANY drug not medically authorized. We do not allow the use or possession of marijuana, medical or otherwise, at our plants. Employees may be asked to submit to random, post-accident, or for cause testing at any time, and NPSI reserves the right to search all areas of the plant without advance notice in order to maintain the no tolerance policy.
This work can be hard, monotonous, and boring. Most cell phones do not work in remote areas of Alaska. Employees have access to pay phones at the plant. GCI cell phones are the most reliable in Naknek. T-Mobile and Verizon occasionally work. NPSI provides free, limited access to a desktop computer to check email. We also have limited WiFi connection. There is no way to predict how much work will be available since this is a wild fishery.
Our processor wage plan provides pay increases based on the total number of hours you work for our company. The first increase (Tier II) is after 1,200 hours. This means if you work longer seasons, or choose to come back multiple years, your hours accumulate towards these pay increases. Pay periods are biweekly. Our workday is defined as the calendar day, and our work week runs from Monday through Sunday. Employees are paid on the Friday following the end of the biweekly pay period. We encourage employees to sign up for direct deposit but you may elect to receive paper checks instead.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is NPSI’s policy to comply with federal, state, and local law prohibiting unlawful discrimination. NPSI does not and will not permit discrimination (including harassment) in recruitment, hiring, or other employment actions and decisions based on an employee or applicant being a member of a protected class, which includes, but is not limited to, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability and genetic information (including family medical history), or other statuses protected by state and local law. It is NPSI’s policy to provide legal and fair treatment to all employees regarding recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, wages, hours, benefits, working conditions, training, and availability of advancement opportunities.
NPSI is an “at-will” employer, meaning that the employee or NPSI may terminate employment at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. No one at NPSI is authorized to guarantee employment for a certain time period or otherwise alter the at-will nature of employment with NPSI. The language that appears in this job posting is not intended to create and does not create, nor is it intended to constitute and does not constitute a contract between NPSI and any employee. No manager, employee, or representative of NPSI, except the President or CEO, has the authority to enter into any contract guaranteeing employment for any specific term, and no such contract shall be deemed binding unless it is in writing and signed by the President or CEO.
NPSI provides reasonable accommodations to applicants during the application process to ensure equal access to all available positions. To request accommodation, please call NPSI’s Vice President of Human Resources at (206) 726-9900.
How to Apply
Click on APPLY NOW!