Picture yourself cooking farm to table food in "American Alps" - $2,000 Bonus
The Learning Center is on the edge of Diablo Lake in the heart of the North Cascades National Park.
- $19.00 - $21.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Apr 10, 2023)
Summary of Position
North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified, enthusiastic professional cook to join our Kitchen Team. Based out of the Institute’s field campus in North Cascades National Park, this position supports food services at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, which serves up to 80 children and/or adults per day most weeks. This position works closely with many Institute staff, partners and contractors to support a wide array of educational programs. This includes the Foodshed Project, the Institute’s initiative to incorporate local, organic products in the operation of the Learning Center.
- Enthusiasm for and experience with “Foodshed” principals and the “Slow Food” movement.
- One year or more professional food service experience.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks with exemplary time management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to give and receive direction in a way that models respect.
- Ability to comply with a smoke- and drug-free work environment.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds consistently.
- Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
- Previous food service experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities.
- Professional food service experience in an institutional setting, preparing diverse, health-conscious meals for children and adult groups, including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients.
Food Service and Preparation:
- Prepares food on a daily basis for meals typically served buffet-style.
- Assists in creating age and diet appropriate menus for NCI’s summer programming (families, tour groups, adult seminars, etc.), using recipes for consistency, cost control and appealing servings avoiding unnecessary waste.
- Other duties as assigned by the Food Services Manager or Learning Center Director.
Maintenance and Cleanliness:
- Maintains exemplary standards of cleanliness in the dining hall, kitchen and walk-in.
- Assists in ware-washing program and customer service.
- Actively participates in recycling program, composting, use of green materials and local products as related to food service.
- Participates in general staff responsibilities such as staff meetings, hands to work, and risk management.
- Support equity initiatives at North Cascades Institute and actively contribute to NCI as a community of belonging that is welcoming and accessible to everyone. Develop a personal equity, diversity, and inclusion related goal(s) and track progress towards your goal(s) with your supervisor.
- Participates in strategic planning, annual picnic, and other duties as assigned by the Learning Center Director.
Pay rate is $19.00 - $21.00/hour. This is a seasonal/temporary, full-time, non-exempt position.
Bonus - North Cascades Institute is pleased to offer bonuses for this Seasonal Cook position. An employee who successfully works for one month of employment from their start date will be eligible for a $500 Sign On Bonus. If the employee works until the end of Fall 2023 programming on December 15, 2023, they will be eligible for a $1500 Season Completion Bonus
Seasonal benefits include the following:
- Sick Leave - 8 hours per month.
- Vacation - 4 days total (32 hours) for seasonal positions with a job duration of 6 months or more.
- Holiday Pay - 8 holidays maximum through the end of the season ending on December 15, 2023.
- Paid Service Days - 2 days total (16 hours).
Benefits are prorated for employees working less than 40 hours per week.
Good quality housing is available through the Institute for $350/month including utilities, considerably below market rates. Private rooms in shared houses are sometimes available, but not guaranteed. In some cases, roommates in shared rooms may be required, at $175/month. Smoking is not allowed in housing, during programs, or on the Institute’s campus. Pets are not allowed in the Institute’s campus housing, but a few rooms in one of our Marblemount houses allow for pets.
As soon as possible.
Start date – December 15, 2023
Equal Opportunity Employer
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.
About the North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute requires all employees to receive a COVID-19 vaccine and to provide proof of inoculation unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All new hires are expected to comply with these requirements upon employment.
North Cascades Institute's mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place
North Cascades Institute is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will remain open until filled.
Please apply online on our website via the link below.
Complete the online application and upload a resume and a cover letter pertaining to this position.