Join our community in the spectacular North Cascades National Park, also known as the American Alps!
We're located only 3 hours from Seattle and Vancouver, BC, Canada
- In North Cascades National Park, Diablo Lake, WA
- $12.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts immediately! (Mar 16, 2018)
North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified, enthusiastic professional cook to join our Kitchen Team. This is a seasonal/temporary, full-time non-exempt position, from mid-March through mid-December. Based out of the Institute’s field campus in North Cascades National Park, this position supports food services at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, which serves up to 80 children and/or adults per day on a seven-day-a-week schedule. Supervised by the Head Chef, this position works closely with many Institute staff, partners and contractors to support a wide array of educational programs. This includes the Foodshed Project, the Institute’s initiative to incorporate local, organic products in the operation of the Learning Center.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the North Cascades Institute
- Enthusiasm for and experience with “Foodshed” principals and the “Slow Food” movement
- One year or more Professional food service experience
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks with exemplary time management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to give and receive direction in a way that models respect
- Ability to comply with a smoke- and drug-free work environment
- Ability to lift 50 pounds consistently and walk over uneven terrain
- Washington State food handler’s permit
- Valid driver’s license and driving record check must have no more than one moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving, or serious moving violations.
- Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
- Previous food service experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities
- Professional food service experience in an institutional setting, preparing diverse, health-conscious meals for children and adult groups, including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients
- Experience assisting with inventory and ordering tasks
FOOD SERVICE AND PREPARATION
- Prepares food on a daily basis for meals typically served buffet-style.
- Assists the Head Chef in creating age and diet appropriate menus for NCI’s summer programming (families, tour groups, adult seminars, etc.), using recipes for consistency, cost control and appealing servings avoiding unnecessary waste
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Chef or Facilities Manager
MAINTENANCE AND CLEANLINESS
- Maintains exemplary standards of cleanliness in the dining hall, kitchen and walk-in
- Assists in ware-washing program and hospitality
- Actively participates in recycling program, composting, use of green materials and local products as related to food service
- Participates in general staff responsibilities such as staff meetings, hands to work, and risk management
- Participates in strategic planning, annual picnic, and other duties as assigned by the Learning Center Director
This is a seasonal/temporary, full-time non-exempt position, from mid-March through mid-December. Wage is $12.00 to $15.00 per hour, DOE. Benefits include sick leave and holiday pay.
Position will remain open until filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs. North Cascades Institute is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
ABOUT NORTH CASCADES INSTITUTE
The Institute’s mission is to inspire and empower environmental stewardship for all through transformative educational experiences in nature. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
North Cascades Institute, www.ncascades.org, is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $3 million budget and strong reserves, and more than a decade of Four-Star ratings with Charity Navigator. The Institute was also voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.