NOW HIRING Traveling Outdoor Educators!
We use over 35 sites throughout California: Sequoia-Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, and more!
- Ventura, California
- $157.00 - $220.00 / day
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 1 month. (Mar 01, 2023)
Lead students in 2-6 day outdoor education camping programs for grades 4-12. Teach natural history, human history, environmental education, team building & a variety of outdoor skills: camping, hiking, canoeing, cross-country skiing, and backpacking. Assist specialist instructors with student instruction in activities like rock climbing, ropes courses, kayaking, snorkeling, and stand-up paddle boarding.
We operate during the Spring (March-June) and Fall (August-November), if you are interested in one or both seasons please inquire!
- Authorization to work in the U.S.A.
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications.
- Wilderness First Responder or WEMT training is desirable.
- Previous professional experience working with youth in an outdoor setting.
- Significant personal outdoor experience.
- 4-year University Degree, or equivalent experience in environmental education, the natural sciences, outdoor recreation, or related field.
- Group management, time management, and solid facilitation skills for team building and initiatives.
- Enthusiastic self-starter capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated leadership/facilitator skills and safety/risk management skills.
- Familiarity with academic (biology, botany, geology, ecology, etc…) outdoor programs and a variety of outdoor activities.
- Satisfactory response from the California Livescan Fingerprinting process.
- Tuberculosis test confirming employee is free of Infectious TB.
- Requires full Covid-19 vaccination as defined by the CDC.
Entry-level compensation starts at $152 per day with returning instructors earning up to $220 per day. For an average 4-day program plus a staff preparation day the pay is $745. Tent space (or occasional lodge rooms) and meals are provided during the program.
A variety of specialized trainings and conferences are offered to employees throughout the season. Skills and site training topics include: Colorado River flatwater canoe trips; Catalina Island snorkel and kayak trips; natural history; rock climbing/anchor building; and professional outdoor catering for large groups. Trainings are compensated at $15/hr. And access to Pro purchase programs.
How to Apply
Please return your application, cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Naturalists at Large, PO Box 3517, Ventura, CA 93006. Phone interviews are on-going until positions are filled. For more information, you can call us at (805) 642-2692
Click here for the full application and details or visit our website.
Naturalists at Large is “An Equal Opportunity Employer” –M/F/D/V