A summer of meaningful work and stunning landscapes on the National Elk Refuge in Jackson, WY
Spectacular landscape of majestic mountains, rolling sagebrush covered hills, and grasslands at the National Elk Refuge in northwestern Wyoming’s Jackson Hole valley.
- Jackson, Wyoming
- $12.00 / hour
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in about 2 months (May 15, 2020)
Join the our team in a spectacular landscape of majestic mountains, rolling sagebrush covered hills, and grasslands at the National Elk Refuge in northwestern Wyoming’s Jackson Hole valley. NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED! We will train the right candidates. Position includes assisting with operation and maintenance of a state of the art K-Line irrigation system which irrigates 4,000 acres of grasslands crucial to winter range habitat on the National Elk Refuge. You may also participate in construction, repairs, and maintenance of a variety of enclosures and refuge property, as well as daily GPS device use and operation of 4x4 UTV/ATV’s. This is an extraordinary opportunity to live in one of the most stunning places in the United States, surrounded daily by wildlife and the towering beauty of the Teton range.
You will live and work on the refuge premises. Due to limited, affordable housing options in the Jackson Hole valley, we provide you with free housing and basic utilities during your time working for the refuge. Most housing is nestled about 3 miles from the edge of downtown Jackson, directly on the refuge itself! No traffic buzzing by, just mother nature, your fellow co-workers, and volunteers to keep you company.
This opportunity is great for individuals who may be looking at future careers in ecology, wildlife management, range management, plant biology and other environmentally focused degrees. BUT it is a great experience for anyone looking to explore a different kind of job. This is a very unique job. Although this is NOT A GOVERNMENT position, it provides ample experience working with one of the largest K-Line Irrigation Systems in the world as well as being exposed to a government program. Positions are VERY limited so apply ASAP!
Refuge personnel are looking for candidates to assist primarily with irrigation duties on refuge grasslands. Forage produced is utilized by elk and bison during the fall and winter months on this critical winter range habitat. This position also aims to help build professional experiences in natural resource management. Although not required, ideal candidates will have interest in agricultural irrigation such as modern irrigation and flood practices as well as have some interest in studies in rangeland and wildlife management, habitat improvements, and general biology. Operation of 4x4 UTV/ATV’s is required and training is provided by the refuge. GPS tracking systems are used for proper line location for the daily irrigation changes. Although this position is located on the National Elk Refuge, it is NOT considered a federal government position. Health insurance, relocation and other benefits are NOT provided. This is a seasonal position only.
BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- No irrigation or rangeland management experience required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must possess a valid drivers license
- Be able to lift at least 50 lbs
- Ability to use (or learn to use) a variety of hand and power tools
- Reliable and responsible
- Able to commit to full irrigation season
- Season start dates vary: Sometime in May / End dates vary: Sometime in Aug, Sept or Oct)
- May have to work some or all holidays depending on schedule
- Depending on available shifts at time of hire, weekends may be required
- Ability to work with a diverse team
- 40 hours week minimum requirement
- Almost all of work detail will be outdoors and you will be operating a ATV/UTV all day
- Work is performed in a variety of weather conditions
- Must adhere to established schedules and standard operating procedures
- Familiarity with GPS systems and experience driving UTV/ATV's a plus (not required; will train)
PAY & BENEFITS:
- $12/hour starting
- Paid weekly
- Free Housing provided (provided RV or dorm-style housing) on site
- Must work 40 hours per week to qualify for on-site, free housing
- Work in beautiful Jackson, Wyoming
- Daily exposure to area wildlife
View our position flyer HERE.
How to Apply
Please email us at NERirrigation@gmail.com to receive application materials.