Would you like to change lives by providing an amazing sailing overnight experience for campers?
On the Connecticut shoreline in the small town of Mystic
- Mystic, Connecticut
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 2 months (May 01, 2018)
Would you like to change lives by providing an amazing summer sailing overnight experience for campers?
Mystic Seaport is seeking a dynamic Director for our Joseph Conrad Overnight Summer Sailing Camp. During this residential summer program campers sleep aboard a historic full-rigged ship, the Joseph Conrad, learn to sail Dyer Dhows during the day, and participate in fun activities at night, including 19th- century “zip-lining” (Breeches Buoy life-saving re-enactment), a Planetarium show, climbing the rigging, and more.
The Director position is seasonal from May-August, and is responsible for overseeing and running the camp. This includes helping to train the summer counselors and Counselors-in-Training (CITs) and managing the camp counselors. The Director lives on board the Joseph Conrad during the season and is responsible for ensuring the highest quality programming, staff, and safety for the program.
The position requires great leadership skills; the ability to work well with children; supervise, train, and mentor staff; communicate with campers' parents; work as part of a team; be fun and funny; engage counselors; and the ability to develop great character in children. Room and board included each week from Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon while the program is in session. For more information about the camp visit http://www.mysticseaport.org/learn/summer-camps/conrad/.
- Lead by example as a role model who sets the tone for positive youth development
- Supervise day to day operations of the program, including a daily meeting with the counselors at the end of each day
- Plan and deliver training for five camp counselors and Counselors-in-Training
- Assist with the preparation of Dyer Dhows sailboats and powerboats in preparation for the summer season
- Supervise and mentor five Conrad camp counselors and up to 6 Counselors-in-Training per week
- Arrange and coordinate all Conrad camp activities with appropriate Seaport departments
- Ensure that all licensing and safety protocols are followed
- Complete and maintain licensing book and meet with state inspector during inspection
- Serve as the liaison between parents and campers; communicate on a regular basis with parents
- Participate 100% with activities; enjoy playing, and not "sit on the sidelines", be visible throughout the day, lead transition times and supervise campers
- Assist with sail instruction and other camp activities as needed
- Sleep aboard Joseph Conrad
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must have either: served at least one summer as a camp director or have had at least 16 weeks administrative or supervisory experience in an organized camp or completed equivalent administrative or supervisory training or experience in an organized youth program
- Must have current Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification (training provided)
- Must have safe boating certification
- US Sailing Level 1 certification preferred
- Must have experience working with children and youth in formal or informal settings; ability to engage children and youth in a dynamic and energetic manner
- Must have specialized and practical knowledge of/experience in: residential camps, camp leadership and supervision; staff management, development, and motivation.
- Must have experience teaching sailing
- Must be comfortable and have experience driving powerboats in an instructional setting
- Must have experience supervising sailing instructors, preferably in a residential setting.
- Must have a positive, enthusiastic and flexible attitude.
- Must have integrity, patience, adaptability, a sense of humor, enthusiasm, and a commitment to serve youth
- Must possess strong problem-solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending on weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
- Must have excellent customer service and communication skills
Physical/Mental Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
- Deliver programs in venues that can be cold, wet, hot, or dirty; work outside in all weather
- Position requires sufficient eyesight, hearing, and physical stamina to fulfill successfully the requirements of the Joseph Conrad Overnight Sailing Summer Camp program.
- Weekend and holiday work assignments are required
How to Apply
Please apply online!