Would you like to change lives by providing an amazing summer sailing experience for campers?
On the Connecticut shoreline in the small town of Mystic
- Mystic, Connecticut
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (Jun 01, 2018)
Would you like to change lives by providing an amazing summer sailing overnight experience for campers? Mystic Seaport is seeking dynamic camp counselors for our Joseph Conrad Overnight Summer Sailing Camp. During this residential summer program campers sleep aboard an historic full-rigged ship, the Joseph Conrad, learn to sail Dyer Dhows during the day, and participate in fun activities at night, including 19th- century “zip-lining” (Breeches Buoy life-saving re-enactment), a Planetarium show, climbing the rigging, and more. Counselors are responsible for assisting in the daily operations of the program, teaching sailing to campers, helping to supervise CITs, supervising and implementing evening activities, and sleeping onboard the historic vessel Joseph Conrad. Counselors need to have the ability to work well with children, work as part of a team, be fun and funny, engage campers, and to develop great character in children. The counselor positions are seasonal from June-August 2018. Room and board included each week from Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon while the program is in session. For more information about the camp visit http://www.mysticseaport.org/learn/summer-camps/conrad/. For more detailed descriptions of each counselor position please visit http://www.mysticseaportmuseuminc.appone.com. The five positions are Sailing Instructor/Waterfront Director, Sailing Instructor/Alternate Director, Sailing Instructor/Assistant Waterfront Director, Sailing Instructor/Office Manager, and Sailing Instructor/First Aid Director.
- Lead by example as a role model who sets the tone for positive youth development
- Assists in day-to-day activities
- Instructs campers in sailing, rowing, seamanship, and maritime history
- Maintains close communication with group leaders and museum personnel to ensure program operation
- Participate 100% with activities; enjoy playing, and not "sit on the sidelines", be visible throughout the day, lead transition times and supervise campers
- Mentor CITs
- Sleep aboard Joseph Conrad
- Must be 18 years of age (some positions have different age requirements)
- Must have current Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification (training provided)
- Safe boating certification preferred
- US Sailing Level 1 certification preferred
- Must have experience working with children and youth in formal or informal settings; ability to engage children and youth in a dynamic and energetic manner
- Must have experience teaching sailing
- Must be comfortable and have experience driving powerboats in an instructional setting
- Must have a positive, enthusiastic and flexible attitude.
- Must have integrity, patience, adaptability, a sense of humor, enthusiasm, and a commitment to serve youth
- Must possess strong problem solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending on weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
- Must have excellent customer service and communication skills
Physical/Mental Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
- Deliver programs in venues that can be cold, wet, hot, or dirty; work outside in all weather
- Position requires sufficient eyesight, hearing, and physical stamina to fulfill successfully the requirements of the Joseph Conrad Overnight Sailing Summer Camp program.
- Weekend and holiday work assignments are required
How to Apply
For more detailed descriptions of each counselor position and to apply, please click on APPLY NOW