Ever dream of educating youth aboard a fully-rigged ship? Here is your chance!
On the Connecticut shoreline in the small town of Mystic
- Mystic, Connecticut
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (Mar 05, 2018)
This position provides hands-on engaging programming for scout and other youth groups who sleep overnight at Mystic Seaport on weekends. The Anchor Watch program provides an exciting overnight experience for youth groups aboard the full-rigged ship the Joseph Conrad. For a description of Anchor Watch programs and a typical schedule, visit http://www.mysticseaport.org/learn/youth/anchor-watch/. This position is a weekend seasonal job starting March 5, 2018 through June 4, 2018. Hours range from 13 hours to 27.5 hours per weekend during this time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead tours, outdoor and indoor activities
- Supervise guests overnight on board the JOSEPH CONRAD
- Assist in rigging climbing
- Assist with cleaning of program facilities
- Provide excellent customer service and excellent visitor experiences
- Build a professional repertoire through continuous growth and mastery of content, skills, hands-on education, presentation and delivery techniques
- Contribute to the development of new programs and enhancement of existing programs
- Help advance department and institutional goals, adhere to mission, and serve as ambassador for Mystic Seaport
- Experience working with children, youth and families in formal or informal settings; ability to engage students in a dynamic and energetic manner
- Demonstrate caring and respectful attitude towards children, youth, and families
- Ability to lead education tours of the Museum, indoor/outdoor games and crafts, climb the rigging
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively and work with diverse staff across the Museum as well as external customers
- Self-directed learning, ability to retain learned information, and use of knowledge to engage audiences of all ages and learning styles
- Absolute reliability, punctuality and positive attitude
- Flexibility, versatility, and adaptability
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to get along with others; ability to use tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to perform assignments creatively, conscientiously, and accurately with high standards of quality and overall effectiveness.
- Capacity for accepting responsibility of position without need for follow-up; ability to act independently without specific instructions.
- Must possess and reflect a polished professional demeanor in a variety of situations.
- College level training is required; background in museum education, maritime history, and/or teaching or youth development experience is preferred
- Willingness to work a highly flexible schedule corresponding to the needs of the Museum
Physical/Mental Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
- Deliver programs in venues that can be cold, wet, hot, or dirty; work outside in all weather
- Late nights, early mornings, overnight on the JOSEPH CONRAD primarily on Friday and Saturday nights
How to Apply
Please submit an online application at www.mysticseaportmuseuminc.appone.com.