Ever dream of educating youth aboard a fully-rigged ship? Here is your chance!
On the Connecticut shoreline in the small town of Mystic
- Mystic, CT
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (Mar 05, 2018)
This position provides hands-on engaging programming for school groups who sleep overnight at Mystic Seaport during the week. The Ship to Shore overnight program provides an exciting overnight experience for youth groups aboard the full-rigged ship the JOSEPH CONRAD. For more information about the Ship to Shore overnight program visit http://www.mysticseaport.org/learn/k-12-programs/ship-to-shore/. This position is a seasonal job during the week starting March 5, 2018 through June 4, 2018. Hours range from 15 hours to 35 hours per week during this time depending upon program bookings.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Lead tours, hands-on activities, indoor and outdoor games and crafts, demonstrating professional teaching skills and thorough understanding of educational content
• Supervise guests overnight on board the JOSEPH CONRAD
• Assist in various tasks to prepare for weekly programs, including running errands, communicating with staff and supervisors to arrange activities, supply shopping, and management of equipment and materials
• Assist with rigging climbing
• Assist with cleaning of program facilities
• Provide excellent customer service and excellent visitor experiences
• Build a professional repertoire through continuous growth and mastery of content, skills, hands-on education, presentation and delivery techniques
• Contribute to the development of new programs and enhancement of existing programs
• Help advance department and institutional goals, adhere to mission, and serve as ambassador for Mystic Seaport
• Experience working with children, youth and families in formal or informal settings; ability to engage students in a dynamic and energetic manner
• Demonstrate caring and respectful attitude towards children, youth, and families
• Ability to lead education tours of the Museum, indoor/outdoor games and crafts, climb the rigging
• Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively and work with diverse staff across the Museum as well as external customers
• Self-directed learning, ability to retain learned information, and use of knowledge to engage audiences of all ages and learning styles
• Absolute reliability, punctuality and positive attitude
• Flexibility, versatility, and adaptability
• Excellent customer service and communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to get along with others; ability to use tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to perform assignments creatively, conscientiously, and accurately with high standards of quality and overall effectiveness.
• Capacity for accepting responsibility of position without need for follow-up; ability to act independently without specific instructions.
• Must possess and reflect a polished professional demeanor in a variety of situations.
• College level training is required; background in museum education, maritime history, and/or teaching or youth development experience is preferred
• Willingness to work a highly flexible schedule corresponding to the needs of the Museum
Physical/Mental Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
• Deliver programs in venues that can be cold, wet, hot, or dirty; work outside in all weather
• Late nights, early mornings, overnight on the JOSEPH CONRAD primarily during the week.
How to Apply
Please submit an online application at http://www.mysticseaportmuseuminc.appone.com.