Make a Living, while Making a Difference
We serve 14 counties in Colorado, and often work on Pikes Peak, in Pike National Forest, San Isabel National Forest, and more.
- Denver, CO or Colorado Springs, CO
- $4,939.97 / season
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in about 1 month (May 12, 2020)
Summer of Service (SOS) is an intensive, team-based, 13 week-long program. Corpsmembers serve on conservation and environmental stewardship projects on public lands throughout the Southern Front Range Region or Denver Metro Region (Choose which region you'd like to apply to when selecting your application). Corpsmembers have the choice to serve on a variety of crews:
- Sawyer Crew: Members operate chainsaws on wildland fire mitigation and invasive tree removal projects. They receive First-Aid/CPR and S-212 Chainsaw Equivalency certifications. Some sawyers will have the opportunity to receive pesticide application training. The use of pesticides is common in invasive tree removal projects. This crew serves primarily on 4-day camping projects.
- Hand Crew: Members receive training in the safe and efficient use of hand tools to complete a wide variety of projects. Examples include trail maintenance and construction, installation of rock and timber trail structures, noxious weed removal, pesticide application, planting and mulching, fence repair and construction and other park development projects. This crew serves primarily on 4-day camping projects with occasional 9-day camping projects.
- Womxn’s Crew: Inclusivity is a core value at MHYC, and the Womxn’s Crew embodies this value by creating opportunities for women, trans, and non-binary individuals to learn new skills in a safe and supportive environment. Projects will include trail construction and maintenance. This crew will serve exclusively on 9-day camping projects.
- This is a temporary position from May 12–August 7, 2020.
- Biweekly Stipend: Earn a total living stipend of $4939.97. The stipend will be paid every two weeks.
- AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $1,612.43 upon successful completion of the term (450 hours of service). This award can be used to pay tuition or payback qualifying student loans. Individuals have 7 years to use the award.
- Training: Tool training and hands-on technical training related to all projects.
- Education: Lessons focused on environmental stewardship, leadership, civic engagement and college/career prep that will prepare you for life after MHYC.
- Student Loan Forbearance: Corpsmembers can apply to put their qualified federal student loans on hold during their term through the National Service Trust.
- Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving at MHYC for sixty days. Members will have a monthly share of the health insurance premium.
- Must be between the ages of 18-24 and able to legally serve in the United States.
- High school or GED graduate or still enrolled.
- Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Resident.
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions (e.g., sun, heat, wind, rain, etc.) and hike 7 miles with a day-pack.
- Pre-service National Service Criminal History Check required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which includes fingerprinting.
- Pre-service drug screen required.