Join us at beautiful McDowell Environmental Center for our Fall Season August 18-December 16!
Canyons, streams, hemlock forests, and over 1,000 acres to work, live, explore, and play in!
- Nauvoo, Alabama
- $300.00 / week
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 3 months. (Aug 18, 2022)
Come help us share our 1,140 acres of forests, streams, waterfalls, and canyons in northwest Alabama with groups of students from all over the Southeast. Work with the students to foster a sense of community as well as an appreciation, understanding, and responsibility for our environment. Students of the McDowell Environmental Center come from a variety of backgrounds and visit our Center for one, two, or three day programs. These students are mostly 3rd-8th grade students, but can range from 2nd-12th grade.
Teach engaging, hands-on classes in the great outdoors, i.e., forest ecology, map & compass skills, earth science, aquatic ecology, Native American history, canoeing, team building, and high ropes. Adapt the established lesson plans to match your teaching style and strengths. Assist with program development. Lead evening programs such as campfire, night hikes, astronomy, and live animal programs. Have a chance to work and teach with our educational raptors, snakes, and turtles.
Work with a team of passionate and friendly individuals from all across the country. Work week is Monday-Friday with all weekends off. Building a strong and cohesive team is a cornerstone of our program. Two weeks of paid staff training provided!
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a demonstrated respect and affinity for children and a desire to help them learn and grow in an outdoor environment.
- Have the following characteristics: enthusiasm, maturity, initiative, sense of humor, flexibility and team spirit.
- Be familiar with the outdoors and environmental issues.
- Possess current certifications in CPR and First Aid.
- Be 21 years or older.
- Be able to provide proof of full vaccination for COVID.
- All employees will undergo a background check once hired.
Benefits include meals and on-site housing in private rooms.
- All instructors have fully furnished private bedrooms, shared bathroom, community kitchen, living room, laundry machines, and large porches with rocking chairs.
- $300 per week paid twice a month (bi-weekly)
- Discount on Alabama Folk School Classes
- Access to industry prodeals
- Full use of camp facilities when not in use by groups (climbing wall, pools, canoes)
How to Apply
If interested, email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Meredith Bower at email@example.com