Spend Your Summer Rafting & Glacier Hiking in Wrangell St Elias National Park, Alaska
We are located in the middle of Wrangell St Elias National Park
- $60.00 - $85.00 / trip + tips
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 4 months. (May 20, 2023)
About McCarthy River Tours
McCarthy River Tours, the leader in high-end Single & Multi-Day Raft Trips and Glacier Hiking in Wrangell St. Elias National Park, is seeking Day Raft, Kayak & Glacier Guides.
Founded in 2010, McCarthy River Tours offers small group size Multi Day River Expeditions from 2 to 14+ days through Class II to Class V whitewater & Private Day Rafting, Glacial Lake Kayak Tours & Day Glacier Hikes on the Root & Kennicott Glaciers. We emphasize the guest experience by focusing on Safety, High Quality, Authenticity & Exceptional Customer Service.
- To offer the best in the industry Rafting and Adventure trips by concentrating on guest experience, high-quality equipment, local history, locally sourced foods and materials and focus on the Alaskan Wilderness Experience.
Our Core Values:
- Our guests are at the core of everything we do.
- Safety, Comfort & Adventure.
- We are dedicated to the Alaskan Wilderness Experience.
- We are certified and adhere to Leave No Trace ethics.
- Supporting our local Alaska communities by buying local and volunteering.
Our Promise to Our Guests:
- To provide you with an Authentic, Knowledgeable, Safety Oriented & Immersive adventure experience on your Alaska Vacation.
Day Guide Job Description
Day Guides are one of the most important roles at McCarthy River Tours. You set an example for Assistant Guides as well as serve as the primary source of interaction with our guests on our single-day excursions. As a day guide, you are responsible for ensuring quality, safety and an excellent guest experience on our Day trips.
This position is a variety of in the field, Day Trip guiding, gear maintenance, shuttle driving, and projects. You will work with our senior day guide and operations manager to review trip manifests, shuttle guests from local hotels, provide top-line customer service, maintain our day raft fleet and all associated gear as well as offer immersive, engaging day trips with an emphasis on safety and the guest experience.
You are expected to act in a professional manner at all times as well as keep accurate notes and data to be reported. You must possess a minimum of a WFR (Wilderness First Responder) as well as Swift Water Rescue certification as well as 1-year previous raft guiding experience.
Role Responsibility and Expectations
- Reading pre-trip manifests/coordinating with Senior Guide and Office Staff
- Lead/facilitate Pre Trip check-in and gear up for guests in a timely manner
- Attention to detail with an emphasis on guest experience
- Clean and organize day rafting, glacier hiking and vans/workspaces
- You must be ready to guide on your best and worst days and with co-workers from various backgrounds and experiences.
- Maintain the company culture and personal morale throughout the working season.
- Facilitate pictures of guest trips and upload to supplied google drive file
- Minimum of 1 years Day Rafting experience
- Ability to read currents and moving water.
- Possess great attention to detail
- Swiftwater Rescue, CPR/AED & Wilderness First Responder Certifications (can be completed post-hire)
- Valid United States state issued Driver's License
- A Can Do Attitude - Willingness to work in various tasks across a growing company.
- Alaska Rafting experience
Inclusions and Benefits
- Housing Included
- Work in an innovation-first, autonomous work environment where creative ideas and solutions are encouraged.
- Use company gear for personal trips on availability and supervisors approval
- Pro Deal Discounts on Professional Gear
About Our Guests
Our clientele consists primarily of Independent Travelers and Small Group Van Tour Affiliates with the occasional large group tour and Cruise Ship passengers. Our guests travel from all over the world, mainly from within Alaska, the contiguous United States, China, Europe & Israel and are drawn to Alaska wilderness & America’s largest National Park.