#1 Raft Outfitter in America's Largest National Park Seeking Adventure Tour Ops Manager
Located in the heart of 13.2 Million acre Wrangell St Elias National Park
- McCarthy, Alaska
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 4 months (Apr 15, 2020)
McCarthy River Tours & Outfitters (MRTO), the leader in Single & Multi Day River Trips and Glacier Hiking in McCarthy, Alaska & Wrangell St. Elias National Park, is seeking an Operations Manager & HR Coordinator.
Founded in 2010, McCarthy River Tours & Outfitters offers small group size River Rafting Trips from 4 hours to 14+ days through Class II to Class V whitewater, Glacial Lake Stand Up Paddleboard/Kayak Tours & Day Glacier Hikes on the Root & Kennicott Glaciers as well as bicycle, crampon and kayak/SUP rentals. We emphasize the guest experience by focusing on Safety, High Quality, Authenticity & Exceptional Customer Service.
Enjoying the rivers of Wrangell St Elias National Park (WSENP) & Alaska is our primary focus. We are proudly the first Outfitter in WSENP to offer drysuits to our guests, as well as helmets, paddles and High Float Type 5 PFD’s. All Employees are expected to complete a Swiftwater Rescue Course, MRTO Guide Training and hold certifications in CPR and advanced first aid.
Our Clientele consists primarily of Independent Travelers and Small Group Van Tour Affiliates with the occasional large group tour and Cruise Ship Passenger. Our guests travel from all over the world, mainly from within Alaska, the contiguous United States, China, Europe & Israel and are drawn to Alaska wildness & America’s largest National Park.
The Day Ops & HR Coordinator oversees a team of 6-10 employees, ensures the quality & safety of McCarthy River Tours & Outfitters single day river raft, SUP/Kayak & glacier hike tours as well as managing our rental fleet, river shuttles, staff hiring & scheduling, payroll submission, and overseeing maintenance and repairs of MRTO equipment, vehicles and facilities. We are seeking an organized, self-motivated individual who is competent in the following areas;
- Operating Safe, Customer Oriented day raft trips, SUP Kayak Tours & Glacier Hikes
- Advising staff on safety & risk management
- Overseeing customer service and hospitality (office presentation and sales staff qualifications)
- Managing maintenance and day operations of the MRTO facilities, office & camp (grounds keeping, waste management, cleaning, vehicles, buildings, projects, etc.)
- Admin Work in Peak Season
- Reviewing and responding to customer inquiries.
- Communicate with business affiliates, ensure contact entry in our sales software and commissions in reservation software.
- Ensure guide assignment, manifests and waiver submission in our tour reservation software.
- Assist with Staff Training
- Assist with interviewing and hiring of seasonal staff
- Weekly scheduling for day tours & office shifts
- Reviewing employee timesheets, totaling hours and submitting bi-weekly payroll to bookkeeping.
- Leading weekly staff meeting
- Minimum of three (3) years in the Adventure Industry
- Possess a great attention to detail, logistics guru, big picture seer and planner.
- Active on Social Media
- Swiftwater Rescue, CPR/AED & Wilderness First Responder Certifications (can be completed post hire)
- Valid United States state issued Drivers License
- Communication Skills
- Experience in Single & Multi Day Rafting Trips
- Working proficiency in Microsoft Office & Google Suite
- Can Work under pressure, able to work long hours during peak season.
- Minimal Time Off from mid-May through mid-September
Additional Application Information
- We are a small company, consisting of 7-10 employees in peak season and 2-3 part time roles in the offseason.
- This is a seasonal position with full time work from April 15 to September 30th and 10-20 hours a month from October 1 to April 14.