Want to Drive a Bus on Martha's Vineyard?!
Transit Connection Inc. (TCI) is the contractor that hires, trains, and schedules all vehicle operators, dispatchers, and vehicle fueler/washers for the Martha’s Vineyard Transit Authority (VTA) which serves the residents and visitors to our island. In 2020 we provided more than 890,000 trips, enabling our riders to shop, work, sightsee and receive medical care. Our associates serve as ambassadors to our beautiful community and are the heart and soul of the Vineyard.
Seasonal and Year-Round Opportunities:
- Starting Pay - $20.50 / Hour
- Our recruiting process is on-going, we accept applications until all positions are filled
- Positions available for non-CDL and CDL operators
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL) training and testing provided on-site
- Housing available (shared apartment-style) for $130-$150 per week (includes utilities, wi-fi and trash removal)
Applications are available at the VTA Operations and Maintenance Center, 11 A Street, Business Park, Edgartown or you can download the application below.
- Perform pre/post trip vehicle inspections as required.
- Drive one of several different transit buses or vehicles in a safe, courteous, and reliable manner throughout the service area following an assigned time schedule. Stop at designated points to load and unload passengers.
- Assist in the boarding of passengers using wheelchairs or other mobility aids and properly secure wheelchairs and scooters.
- Notify dispatch of deviations, overload, accidents, passenger incidents, medical/behavioral problems, or bus mechanical/electrical trouble.
- Assure that fares are deposited into the fare box and dispense information. Operate onboard computer fare boxes and destination signs.
- Advise passengers of rules and regulations when necessary. Complete and submit written reports concerning all passenger’s incidents and accidents.
- Maintain assigned work areas in a safe and clean manner
- Fuel VTA-owned vehicles as needed or assigned
- Check and add, as needed, other basic fluids (window washer fluid) to all VTA-owned vehicles as needed
- Clean the outside of all vehicles using rollover bus washer;
- Clean the inside of all vehicles as assigned, including but not limited to: general cleaning of seats, windows, isles, and emptying trash.
- Attend training classes as required
- Upkeep of all VTA bus stops/shelters as assigned
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
- Monitor bus position and timeliness via radio communications and AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location) software.
- Provide information to the public regarding schedules and bus timeliness via phone.
- Prepare incident and accident reports and makes entries into computer logs regarding operating anomalies, farebox or AVL problems, operator suggestions, etc.
How to Apply
Download our Application for Employment at www.VineyardTransit.com, "Employment Opportunities".
Return via email to HumanResources@VineyardTransit.com
Bring completed application directly to our office and meet with Human Resources
11 A Street (same building as MA Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) Office)
Edgartown, MA 02539
Mail application to us:
Transit Connection, Inc.
MVBP RR1, Box 3
Edgartown, MA 02539
Fax to: 508-693-9953
Phone: 508-693-9440 to let us know you faxed it!