Summer Guide on Lake Superior - kayak, SUP, hiking, flyfishing and kids camp instructor.
Located 50 miles from the Canadian border on the shore of Lake Superior, MN.
- Lutsen, Minnesota
- $11.00 / hour + tips
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (May 30, 2018)
Lutsen Resort offers complimentary recreational activities for guests staying at the resort. Our activities focus on professional instruction, Natural History and Safety.
As a Lutsen Resort Summer Guide you will lead or instruct Sea Kayaking, Stand Up Paddle Boarding, Trail Hikes, Naturalist Programs, Fly Fishing and Kids Programs.
The programs serve an audience of families, children and adults vacationing here at Lutsen Resort.
Summer Guiding staff work an average of 40 hours per week from early June through Labor Day guiding a variety of activities and staffing the activities desk. The first two weeks of summer consist of training, included ACA sea kayaking course assessments, and program preparation, followed by approximately ten weeks of programming.
Summer Guide Staff General Job Responsibilities
- Lead and/or help teach and prepare for a variety of programs on land and on the water.
- Guide for Lake Superior sea kayaking and inland lake family kayaking tours
- Staff activities desk in main lodge – this includes providing resort guests information on area activities, hike shuttles, current trail conditions, stocking map and pamphlets for guests, local businesses, and finding answers for guest’s questions.
- Provide safe implementation of resort activities.
- Drive shuttles for guests to nearby trail heads.
- Attend activities staff meetings.
- Assist with equipment inventory and maintenance.
- Assist with program development.
- Report program statistics.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
Summer Guide Staff General Job Qualifications:
- Experience teaching and leading outdoor/naturalist programs.
- Experience working with audiences of all ages and abilities.
- Experience sea kayaking on Lake Superior, knowledge of wind and weather patterns
- For sea kayaking instructors, a current ACA or BCU kayaking instructor or guide certification or ability to obtain certification.
- Ability to teach to a variety of learning styles.
- Safety conscious.
- Responsible and self-motivated.
- Ability to be flexible and stay positive in a changing environment.
- Ability to work independently and complete tasks.
- Experience managing groups in an outdoor setting.
- Current driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Current basic CPR and First Aid certifications or ability to obtain before summer. Current Wilderness First Aid preferred.
- People person, able to identify and converse casually as well as formally with guests.
- Employee housing is available on-site and affordable.
- Free lunch daily
- Close proximity to Superior Hiking Trail network, Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, and Lake Superior Shoreline for your off-time adventures!
- Develop and learn valuable guiding and customer service skills.
- 50% off food in Dining Room and Pub
- 30% off Gift Shop
- Par 3 pitch and putt golf course and disc golf course on site
- Swimming pool/whirlpool and sauna on site
- Shuffleboard court and lawn games on site
- Local events and music throughout the summer