Experience the beauty of SE Alaska from the deck of a tour boat as a 2023 Summer Seasonal Deckhand
Surrounded by wilderness, vibrant arts culture, close-knit & fun community
- Ketchikan, Alaska
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in about 1 month. (Apr 22, 2023)
Lighthouse Excursions is a locally owned and operated tour company in Ketchikan, Alaska. We are looking for deckhands to join our team for our 2023 Alaska summer cruise ship season. As a small business, we all wear a lot of hats! Our work environment is collaborative, immersive, and fun. Our seasoned crew members can vouch: a work day with us out on the water flies by, and you never know what cool wildlife you might see on any given day.
Our ideal candidate is self-driven, punctual, reliable, and the definition of a team player. While we don’t require experience in tourism or on boats to work as a deckhand with us, high-quality customer service skills, a positive attitude, a strong work ethic, and an eagerness to learn new skills are a must.
This position is well-suited to help you pursue a captain’s license. Many of our deckhands go on to further their career in the maritime field.
- Prep vessel for tour day;
- Greet guests on arrival to dock, assist with pre-tour photography, & safe boarding of the vessel;
- Proper line handling during vessel docking & undocking, including demonstrating proficiency with a cleat hitch & other knots as needed;
- Food & beverage service & prep while underway;
- Provide guests with guidance to spot wildlife and/or assist with photographs of key points of interest;
- Keep tour vessel supplies stocked & report any low inventory to Dockside Manager;
- Clean & tidy vessels daily;
- Maintain register, merchandise displays, & assist guests with on-board purchases;
- Completion of weekly/monthly special cleaning & maintenance projects as assigned;
- Passenger management, or other tasks as assigned by captain, in the event of an emergency;
- Participate in scheduled bi-monthly drills;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Must hold or obtain a valid First Aid/CPR Card & Alaska Food Workers Card;
- Pre-employment drug screening & participation in random testing program throughout the season;
- Must be able to safely lift up to 50 lbs;
- Must be committed to following federal, state, & local health & safety requirements per industry standards;
- Participation in our Pre-Season Company Training;
- Must be able to work our full season (mid-April to early October) without interruption.
Some company housing may be available; at a minimum, we provide all out-of-town crew with housing resources. In a small town, word-of-mouth is often the best way to find housing, so we are always happy to provide a local connection to help facilitate a smooth housing experience.
Hourly wage is DOE (+ tips), with a minimum starting wage of $15/hr. Average hours for this position are 35-40 hrs per week, with some overtime throughout the season. Daily work schedule is variable, including weekends and some holidays. A $1.50 per hour worked bonus is included upon fulfilling a season contract.
Eligible for 401K benefit after 650 hours.
We encourage all of our employees to get to know Ketchikan! We may be biased, but we think our home is one of the coolest places on the planet. Located on a remote island in Southeast Alaska, Ketchikan provides an unending supply of opportunities for outdoor adventures, both on land and sea. With a wild seascape out one door, and a mountainous rainforest out the other, you won't ever be short for a chance to connect with nature. As a fishing town, with deep roots in the commercial fishing industry, you'd also be hard pressed not to find a fishing pole in your hand, if that's something you've always dreamed about. We additionally boast a vibrant arts community, which is home to visual artists, musicians, writers, dancers, and actors. So if you're the artist type, you'll find any number of chances to witness (or participate in!) concerts, theater, dance, or other arts events.
Our largest economic driver is tourism. Ketchikan hosts a substantial population of seasonal employees during our summer months, which means working with us provides a great chance to connect with both new friends coming to Alaska for the first time or the locals who make this beautiful place their home year-round.
How to Apply
Please send your resume (including 3 professional references and your season availability) along with any inquiries to Jeff at email@example.com.
*Season runs from mid-April through early October.