Experience the beauty of SE Alaska from the deck of a tour boat as a 2022 Summer Seasonal Deckhand
Surrounded by wilderness, vibrant arts culture, close-knit & fun community
- Ketchikan, Alaska
- $15.00 / hour + tips
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 5 months. (Apr 23, 2022)
Lighthouse Excursions is a locally owned and operated tour company in Ketchikan, Alaska. We are looking for deckhands to join our team for our 2022 Alaska summer cruise ship season. As a small business, we all wear a lot of hats! Our work environment is collaborative, immersive, and fun. Our seasoned crew members can vouch: a work day with us out on the water flies by, and you never know what cool wildlife you might see on any given day.
Our ideal candidate is self-driven, punctual, reliable, and the definition of a team player. While we don’t require experience in tourism or on boats to work as a deckhand with us, high-quality customer service skills, a positive attitude, a strong work ethic, and an eagerness to learn new skills are a must.
This position is well-suited to help you pursue a captain’s license. Many of our deckhands go on to further their career in the maritime field.
- Greet guests on arrival to dock, and assist with pre-tour photography and safe boarding of the vessel;
- Proper line handling during vessel docking and undocking, including demonstrating proficiency with a cleat hitch and other knots as needed;
- Food & beverage service & prep while underway using proper food safety management;
- Provide guests with guidance to spot wildlife and/or assist with photographs of key points of interest;
- Keep vessels stocked with supplies and report any low inventory;
- Clean & tidy vessels daily;
- Maintain register, merchandise displays, & assist guests with on-board purchases;
- Passenger management, or other tasks as assigned by captain, in the event of an emergency;
- Take part in scheduled monthly drills;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- First Aid/CPR Card
- Alaska Food Workers Card
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
- Must be able to safely lift up to 50 lbs
- Pre-employment drug screening & participation in random testing program
Some company housing may be available; at a minimum, we provide all out-of-town crew with housing resources. In a small town, word-of-mouth is often the best way to find housing, so we are always happy to provide a local connection to help facilitate a smooth housing experience.
We encourage all of our employees to get to know Ketchikan! We may be biased, but we think our home is one of the coolest places on the planet. Located on a remote island in Southeast Alaska, Ketchikan provides an unending supply of opportunities for outdoor adventures, both on land and sea. With a wild seascape out one door, and a mountainous rainforest out the other, you won't ever be short for a chance to connect with nature. As a fishing town, with deep roots in the commercial fishing industry, you'd also be hard pressed not to find a fishing pole in your hand, if that's something you've always dreamed about. We additionally boast a vibrant arts community, which is home to visual artists, musicians, writers, dancers, and actors. So if you're the artist type, you'll find any number of chances to witness (or participate in!) concerts, theater, dance, or other arts events.
Our largest economic driver is tourism. Ketchikan hosts a substantial population of seasonal employees during our summer months, which means working with us provides a great chance to connect with both new friends coming to Alaska for the first time or the locals who make this beautiful place their home year-round.
Our 2022 season runs from late April to early October. Starting wage is $15/hour (+ tips).