Wilderness Adventures, Urban Tours & Service Projects with a purpose.
Go Adventure leaders get to work in beautiful locations all over the United States
- Bodega, California
- $120.00 / day + tips
- Previous experience required
- Start Date:
- Job starts in 3 months (May 01, 2019)
Go Adventure is the primary program of Lifeschool, a non-profit organization whose mission is to empower teens from all backgrounds with life skills and environmental ethics through wilderness travel, cultural tours and service projects. We offer groups customized itineraries, individualized curriculum and uplifting programs based in nature. Our participants are mostly public and private 7th-8th grade school groups with class sizes ranging anywhere from 10 - 40 students. We offer a wide variety of programs that can vary from full backcountry backpacking experiences, sea kayaking and rock climbing to front-country stays in hostels and community service volunteering.
In addition, Go Adventure works with Summer Search during June and July. The small group of Summer Search students who attend these programs are high-achieving sophomores and juniors from urban areas. These students face a multitude of systemic inequalities that act as barriers to obtaining a college education, and are provided with an all expense paid 14-21 day program with focus on service, community engagement, and backcountry travel!
At Go Adventure we look for Trip Leaders who thrive in the mentor role, are experienced in group facilitation, and demonstrate flexibility, patience, and enthusiasm for connecting with students. We pride ourselves in hiring amazing staff who are able to positively influence students while maintaining a safe, fun and supportive environment. This season we will be running programs in a variety of settings such as Point Reyes, Yosemite, Channel Islands, Hells Canyon, Idaho, Santa Cruz and the Eastern Sierra. We also have a couple of East Coast programs as well!
* Lead 3 – 21 day Adventure Programs for youth ages 12 - 17
* Mentor and empower groups of 10-40 youth, typically broken into smaller hiking groups, from different backgrounds and levels of outdoor experience
* Manage risk, safety, logistics, as well as group and individual needs
*Implement our core curriculum of Active, Instructive and Reflective activities
* Organize and facilitate games, activities and initiatives that foster positive group dynamics
* Drive SUV’s, large pickup trucks, or minivans w/ a tow trailer, 15 passenger vans (previous experience required), up to 8 hours to and from wilderness areas and urban centers
* Establish and maintain positive relationships with co-leader(s) and admin staff to implement top quality outdoor programming
* Facilitate / educate / support students in preparation of healthy meals, while maintaining industry food and sanitation standards
* Maintain flexibility, positivity and humor in all situations, especially difficult ones
* Complete pre and post trip paperwork, peer evaluations and daily trip logs for each program
* Attend a 5-day staff training (stipend paid upon completion with minimum two trip commitment): Dates: TBA - potentially beginning as early as April 25, 2019. Bodega, CA
* 21 years of age or older
* Hold a driver’s license and clean driving record * Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR (or greater medical training)
* Good physical health, able to hike with 40lb. backpack for up to 10 miles
* College Degree preferred, but significant life experience and/or travel are valued equally
* Previous professional experience working with youth in an outdoor setting, and ability to work effectively with students
* Experience in group management, time management and facilitation skills for team building and group initiative games
* Comfort and experience facilitating backpacking trips, day hikes, student cooking, service projects and cultural experiences
* Excellent leadership, organization, attention to detail, and time management skills
* Flexibility, adaptability and openness to changes in plans * Strong personal motivation, initiative, and follow through.
* A passion for the outdoors, and the desire to share this love with young adults
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT:
*Late April – Late September 2019 (lots of flexibility with scheduling)
* Starting pay is $120 per day
* Go Adventure provide workmen's compensation insurance, outdoor equipment pro-deals, meals during field and prep days, camping/lodging in-between trips, and high quality staff training.