Chart a course to adventure as a Sailing Instructor on breathtaking Lake Champlain!
Spend your days on Lake Champlain with views of the Adirondack Mountains!
- Burlington, Vermont
- $17.00 - $19.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Jun 12, 2023)
About the Community Sailing Center (CSC)
Our mission is to encourage and celebrate the responsible use and long-term stewardship of Lake Champlain by
fostering educational and recreational opportunities for all members of our community. The Community Sailing
Center is unique. We are sailors, paddlers and recreation enthusiasts who share a deep passion for Lake Champlain
because we live near and recreate in it regularly. We believe everyone deserves to play on, learn from and
ultimately take care of Vermont’s greatest natural resource, Lake Champlain.
The CSC is located on the waterfront in Burlington, VT and has been operating for 20 years. As the only Community
Sailing Center in the state the CSC offers a variety of programs for youth, adult, students, and the visiting sailing
and paddling enthusiast. We also host several signature events each year bringing the community together to
celebrate the Lake. CSC’s diverse programs range from recreational to racing, accommodating every sailor. Our
fleet is composed of Open Bics, Hartley 10s, 420’s, Lasers, Sonars, Rhodes 19s, and Stand Up Paddleboards, kayaks
Beyond teaching sailing at the CSC, Burlington has numerous opportunities to offer. There are several yacht clubs
in the nearby towns providing racing almost daily on dinghies and keelboats. Lake Champlain is a destination for
larger regattas each summer as well. Local sailors are always interested in having new crew.
Would you love to share your passion for sailing with others? Do you enjoy working with youth and adults? If you
answered yes, check out our Sailing Instructor position. Our team of US Sailing certified instructors spend the
summer on the water providing a once in a lifetime experience to participants of all ages and abilities. Sailing
instructors deliver on-the-water instruction for various classes and programs and are responsible for delivering a
formal curriculum and teaching practical skills. A US Sailing Level 1 or the ability to earn one is required.
Responsible to: Program Director, Program Manager
1. Hold a current US Sailing Level 1 Small Boat Instructor certification at a minimum.
2. Up to date certifications in or willing to obtain: CPR & First Aid, CDC Concussion Training and SafeSport
Training, VT State Boater’s license or out of state equivalent (available online).
3. Motorboat driving experience; ability to operate a motorboat in all weather conditions.
4. Must have a passion for sailing, the environment and experience working with kids.
5. Must have a positive, enthusiastic and flexible attitude.
6. Must possess strong problem solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending
on weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
7. Must be at least 18 years of age.
The Sailing Instructor must be able:
1. Teach safety, boat handling and sailing theory to sailors of all ages in dinghies and keelboats who are
beginning, intermediate or racing sailors.
2. Develop and implement lesson plans, new curriculum, and complete all required reports and evaluations.
3. Have empathy for the students and be able to adapt to their individual needs.
4. When scheduled, act as Race Committee during Center sponsored races.
5. On occasion, fulfill the duties of a Waterfront Coordinator. These duties include providing general and on-
shore assistance to users and Sailing Instructors, executing the rental process, and completing additional administrative work as necessary.
6. Enforce all policies of the Center and maintain a safe learning environment for sailors.
7. Complete basic environmental activities with the students throughout the week (support provided).
8. Help to maintain and clean the docks, boats and grounds before and after class.
9. Communicate with parents, sailors, and other CSC staff and users effectively and with respect.
● Paid Time Off: Full Time Instructors are eligible for 3 Days PTO, given the instructor takes no more than 3
days off throughout the summer season.
● Housing: The CSC is able to offer affordable summer housing through Champlain College. Details available
● Sailing: As an employee of Community Sailing Center you are invited to use any of our idle paddle or sail
boats during business hours.
● Professional Development:
○ All Full & Part Time instructors are eligible for reimbursement of instructor related certifications.
This includes US Sailing Level 1, CPR, Boating License, and annual US Sailing Membership.
Reimbursement for US Sailing Level 2 or Level 3 must be pre-approved by CSC Management.
● Discounts: Our organization has established relationships with local businesses to provide discounts to the
Community Sailing Center Staff. You will receive a list of staff discounts at staff training.
● Pro-forms: Our organization has established one or more relationships with companies willing to offer
discounts on products. You will receive a list of pro-forms at staff training.
● Boat Storage: Employees of the Community Sailing Center are allowed to store one boat on a rack, pending
● Racing: The Community Sailing Center would love to see you hone your skills and provide some
competition. You are invited to race in the Friday night series with a CSC boat pending boat availability.
Dates of Employment
Applicants may apply for full-time or part-time positions for any number of the seasons listed below. Work during
the spring and fall is limited – scheduling will depend heavily on the instructor’s availability and flexibility during
program hours. Summer and fall employment offers the greatest opportunity for full-time work hours.
Spring: April 24 – June 11 (limited hours available)
Summer: June 12 – September 4
Fall: September 5 – October 9 (limited hours available)
How to Apply
Please send a resume & Seasonal Staff Application (available at communitysailingcenter.org/about/jobs) to firstname.lastname@example.org