Spend a summer in the Rocky Mountains as a lead cook!
Located in Keystone Colorado!
- $18.00 - $22.00 / hour
- Some experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts in 3 months. (May 08, 2023)
Program Overview and Job Summary:
The Seasonal Lead Cook will work closely with the Food Services Manager and occasionally with the Operations Manager to ensure that all clients are fed healthy and nutritious meals while maintaining the highest level of safety and sanitation. The Lead Cook will be expected to help train and supervise seasonal part time Kitchen Assistants. Creativity, ability to follow standard operating procedures, and the capability of asking questions and seeking solutions is a must.
Main areas of focus:
- 50% Food preparation & management, packing for offsites;
- 20% Kitchen and dish cleaning;
- 15% Serve meals;
- 15% Cleaning dining room facilities (possibly including restrooms);
Types of Programming & Meal Service:
Summer Camp: From Memorial Day through mid-August, Summer Camp is our most varied and highest volume program. Clients consist of day and overnight campers aged 5 to 17 and meal service is provided for all residential staff members. Meal sizes can vary from 60 (staff only) to 150 (overnight camp + staff) and topping out at 200 (Thursday BBQ lunch with 2 separate day camps + staff + administrators.) While a basic meal plan is outlined, each individual week session during the 12-week duration of camp has its own programming format (Adventure Camp, Space Camp, Deluxe Camp, etc.) which brings subtle variations in meal service execution. Most shifts will be worked by a team of kitchen staff members;
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare, serve, and clean up meal service for groups of 20-200; clients may include: students, campers, chaperones, adult group retreats, as well as donors, board members, and staff; depending on size or type of programming, the position may work independently or as a team;
- Ensure a high level of health and safety, cleanliness, and food hygiene and ensure that safe working practices are followed; hold other staff members accountable for these practices;
- Learn & execute established work practices, methods, and procedures
- Assist Food Services Manager to train seasonal staff;
- Ensure food storage areas accessible to staff are maintained with adequate and quality inventory;
- Possess an attention to detail and an ability to be flexible and adaptable in terms of a regularly evolving program schedule;
- During high volume Adventure Programs, the position may be required to assist in off-site facility or camping-based food packing and preparation roles;
- Adhere to existing working practices, methods, procedures.
- Undertake relevant training and development activities and respond positively to new and alternative systems;
- Carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the position;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- At least 2 years of experience working in food service;
- Passion for working with food and providing balanced, nutritional, and delicious meals;
- Minimum 16 years of age;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
Training or certification in food safety;
Required COVID 19 Vaccine Policy
Keystone Science School has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy. Individuals hired after January 1, 2022 are required to be either fully vaccinated or partially vaccinated before their start dates. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in the revocation of the employment offer.
Employees in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief must submit a completed Request for Accommodation form to the Human Resources Department to begin the accommodation process. Accommodations will be granted where they do not cause KSS undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit for extended periods of time, stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with his/her teammates. The work space is small and the employee must have the ability to stay focused while others are working in close proximity. The kitchen has sharp and potentially dangerous equipment, the employee must work safely and effectively with all kitchen equipment. The noise level is usually moderate but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing on campus.
Hourly wage range of $18-22 per hour DOE. Seasonal housing and meals are available at no cost for candidates age 18+.