Empower the community to live environmentally sustainable lifestyles with AmeriCorps!
Change the world from one of the most beautiful regions on earth.
- Reno, Nevada
- $19,000.00 / year
- No experience required
- Start Date:
- Starts soon! (Sep 06, 2022)
Ready to grow and make a difference? Come serve with KTMB as the AmeriCorps Sustainability Education Coordinator! KTMB’s Sustainability Education program is designed to raise awareness about common environmental issues that lower the quality of life, health and economy in the Truckee Meadows. KTMB’s Sustainability Education program empowers and provides community members and businesses with solutions to live more sustainably, whether it be at home or at work.
The AmeriCorps Sustainability Education Coordinator position is an essential member of the KTMB team. You will work closely with the Sustainability Education Program Manager to empower community members to be stewards of the environment primarily through presentations, workshops, and service learning opportunities to businesses, organizations, and community groups, as well as enhance and implement KTMB’s educational River Walks. You will continue the precedent of providing hands-on maintenance of KTMB’s Recycling Guide and will assist in maintaining the high quality of KTMB’s Nevada Green Business Program including outreach, recruitment, certification, and recognition of green businesses in the Reno and Sparks metropolitan area. Some weekend work is required, but Team KTMB is encouraged to use comp time for a healthy work-life balance.
KTMB is a private, 501 (c)3 nonprofit dedicated to creating a more sustainable and beautiful region through waste reduction, education, and active community involvement. For over 30 years, KTMB has been dedicated to the beautification of the Truckee Meadows, advancement of a cleaner community and region, large volunteer clean-up efforts, and education that inspires action.
KTMB is committed to fostering a safe and supportive work environment for AmeriCorps members to gain relevant experience, learn desired skills, and pursue their passion projects.
Timeline for Service: September 6, 2022 to August 11, 2023
- Assist in the enhancement and implementation of community educational presentations, service learning events, community workshops and seminars, and blog posts about the topics of waste reduction, invasive and noxious weeds, and health of the Truckee River Watershed;
- Assist in the enhancement and implementation of KTMB’s educational River Walks every quarter;
- Maintain and update KTMB’s Recycling Guide database of community recycling resources primarily through bi-annual check-in calls to the participating businesses and researching sustainable diversion outlets for existing and incoming household items;
- Assist in the certification and recognition of green businesses in Reno and Sparks, primarily through researching sustainable solutions for businesses that enroll in the program and by accurately documenting their progress;
- Maintain and develop current relationships with community members and businesses by representing KTMB during community outreach events throughout the year;
- Assist with other KTMB programs such as Youth Education, Beautification and Clean-Ups, KTMB's Sensory Garden at Idlewild Park, and other duties as assigned.
- Passionate commitment to KTMB’s mission and vision;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Strong communication and public speaking skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong leadership skills;
- High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
- Flexible schedule for potential weekend work
- Good sense of humor;
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental science, or a related field;
- Preferred: reading, writing and speaking competency in Spanish language;
- Preferred: experience with event planning and implementation.
AmeriCorps is your chance to be the greater good! Each AmeriCorps member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve at a nonprofit organization or public agency. KTMB’s AmeriCorps Sustainability Education Coordinator position is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and will serve within the AmeriCorps program. To learn more about the AmeriCorps programs visit americorps.gov.
In return for their service, AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance of $19,000 during their terms and a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $6,495 upon completion of their terms. During their service, AmeriCorps members are eligible for federal student loan deferment, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and Affordable Care Act (ACA) health insurance. After their service, AmeriCorps members are entitled to non-competitive eligibility for hiring with federal agencies and Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
AmeriCorps service is both a humbling opportunity to give back to the community and a distinguished entry-level experience to launch a career. AmeriCorps is the origin story of many of the full-time staff members at KTMB.