Kalani - Find Yourself Here
Kalani Honua means harmony of heaven and earth. We manifest this vision through our mission: To inspire new ways of being in the world by living simply, learning joyfully, experiencing community, and honoring the land.
Kalani's oceanside campus is located on the lush, untamed Puna coastline on the Big Island of Hawaii. Among black sand beaches, old growth mango groves and lava rock cliffs our 120-acre campus is tucked comfortably into the natural jungle environment of the island.
About Kalani Honua
Kalani's volunteer program offers the opportunity to experience life within a vibrant community, enjoy a variety of activities, classes and experiences, and learn and grow while serving our guests and visitors in the spirit of aloha. Volunteers return year after year, and many stay long-term.
It is the perfect way to enjoy an extended stay in Hawai'i in a nurturing, rejuvenating, and transformative environment.
Some of the benefits that volunteers receive include:
- Camping or lodging housing options
- Three chef-cooked meals a day
- Volunteer trips to the Big Island's world-famous sights
- Free access to Kalani's weekly schedule of 50+ activities and classes in yoga, wellness, dance, hula, Hawai’ian culture, and more
- An extended stay in a transformational place, a healthy, nurturing yoga and spiritual retreat center
- An extended stay within a recognized "power spot"; famed yoga instructor Shiva Rea calls Kalani "one of the most potent and nurturing retreat centers in the world"
- Proximity to gorgeous nearby surrounds which include dolphin swims, black sand beaches, hot springs, lava hikes, waterfalls, turtle nesting areas, snorkeling and much more
- Oceanside living with an oceanfront lookout point and nearby Kehena Beach
- Full use of Kalani's clothing-optional pool, spa and watsu facilities
- Reduced rates for massage, watsu and other bodywork treatments
- Reduced volunteer rates for many of the week-long workshops held at Kalani
- Community dining and social opportunities
- Volunteer events, including excursions, movies, parties, karaoke and more
To help offset our costs, there is a tuition fee (in $USD). It is:
- $ 30 /day ($1 80 0) for lodging for a two month term
- $23/day ($1400) for camping for a two month term
- $ 22 /day ($1950) for lodging for a three month term
- $19/day ($1650) for camping for a three month term
Volunteers commit to be here for a two or three month stay and contribute 30 hours per week (4 shifts) in one of our five departments (kitchen, housekeeping, landscaping, permaculture, and maintenance)
If you are ready to be part of a thriving community based on serving with Aloha, mutual respect, open communication, and 21 years old or older, we'd love to hear from you!
Room and Board
We have camping and shared housing accommodation available to volunteers. We can sometimes provide an "A-frame" residence for longer-term stays. Click here to read more about volunteer housing available at Kalani.
Volunteers enjoy full access to the three healthy chef-created meals served daily at Kalani. Vegetarian and vegan options are available. Guests and volunteers often rave about the food served at Kalani. Click here to read more about our world-famous cuisine.
Watch a quick Volunteering video - you'll feel the Kalani spirit start to grow inside you - only to be outdone with a personal visit.
We offer you full use of Kalani's facilities which include:
- Clothing-optional swimming pool
- Hot Tubs
- Volleyball courts
- Well-stocked art shed
- 'The Lounge' - a peaceful gathering area and reading room for guests and volunteers
Volunteers may also partake in the range of ongoing activities at Kalani which include:
- 50+ weekly classes in a variety of different types of yoga, dance, hula, Hawai’ian Huna Healing, art, performing arts, wellness, and much more
- Weekly trips to local markets
- Dolphin Swims
- Ecstatic Dance
- Native Plant Treks
- Local sightseeing adventures
Getting Here and Getting Around
We are 45 minutes drive south of Hilo on the eastern most point of the Big Island of Hawai'i.
An airport pick-up and drop-off is arranged for volunteers through Kalani's Volunteer Coordinator Office.
Click here for directions on how to arrive at Kalani by plane and by car.
There is a bus that goes around the island, so you can see other parts of the Big Island of Hawai’i. Cars are also easily hired from Car Hire operators in Hilo and the local area.
Our Sabbatical Program is a great alternative for those who seek to have more free time during their live-in experience at Kalani.
- One month vacation at Kalani Oceanside Retreat Village (subject to availability - a longer sabbatical stay may also be possible)
- Join in with the other volunteers two shifts per week in the housekeeping or horticulture departments
- Relax in our comfortable and simple accommodations (private lodge room with bath)
- Weekly life coaching sessions for the duration of your stay
- One massage per week (four massages total) from our wellness center
- 2 adventures/excursions offered by Kalani
- Your choice of any of Kalani's 50+ classes and activities each week
- All-inclusive use of the pool, hot tubs, and sauna
- Take pleasure in all the same benefits as a volunteer (listed above)
Click here to read more about Kalani's Sabbatical Program.
The entire Kalani Experience is fun!
We often need assistance in the following areas:
Click here to read about the various tasks and responsibilities required of volunteers who work in the above departments.
We have a particular need for the following skilled/experienced workers - trade scholarships are available. Contact Kalani for more details.
- Chef (Culinary School Grad)
- Experienced IT Help Desk
- Network Administrator
- Web Editor w/ Drupal Experience
- Graphic Designer (Print & Web)
Trade scholarships are available for these positions. Contact Kalani for more details.
How to Apply
To apply or receive further info on our Volunteer and Sabbatical Programs, call Kalani's Volunteer Coordinators at +1 800-800-6886 or click here to email the Volunteer Coordinator office.
Unlike with a work exchange program, Kalani volunteers are living in a resort with access to all of its amenities including a spa, pool, yoga classes, watsu classes, massage and bodywork at a reduced rate and you're experiencing community life.
Kalani is a 501(c)(3) registered charity, and operates as a non-profit educational village, providing retreats to community and international guests, services, classes and workshops within the local community as well as visitors from around the world. We promote Hawai'ian culture with a strong offering of workshops that focus on Hawai’ian culture, and preserve three ancient Hawai'ian sites that are located on the Kalani property.