Itasca State Park covers over 32,000 acres and attracts nearly 600,000 visitors per year. We have 64 overnight lodging units, 246 campsites, three gift shops, and two restaurants. With an operation of this scale there is plenty of work to be done in order to maintain all of these moving parts!
Our seasonal staff of approximately 156 employees take great pride in the legacy of Itasca State Park and work hard to ensure that our visitors leave with an unforgettable experience and a lifetime of memories. We seek talented, innovative employees to help us carry out that mission. Become a part of an organization that not only values the state’s natural resources, but values the personnel resources it takes to sustain the natural beauty Minnesota has to offer.
As an employee of Itasca State Park, you will not only understand the impact of your work and be able to see the benefits, you will also have a unique opportunity to work (and play) in the beauty of the Minnesota north woods, gain a broader knowledge of the historical significance of this region, and meet people from all corners of the globe and all walks of life!
This position provides services for a variety of historic overnight rental units at Itasca State Park. No night shifts are scheduled, and the position offers a relatively flexible work schedule.
This position runs from mid-April until mid-October and shifts range between 7:00am-5:00pm.
- Clean overnight accommodations and other park facilities.
- Replace linens and bed making.
- Clean kitchen areas including stove, refrigerator, cabinets, sinks, dishes.
- Clean furniture, fireplace, walls, windows, floors, ceilings, walkways, and porches.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace.
- Wash. dry, and fold linens.
Candidates for this position must possess an ability to work well with others. They should be self motivated and be able to work in a team setting as well as independently. The ability to maintain high standards of sanitation and cleanliness without supervision is extremely important. A good attitude and willingness to contribute to the overall success of the group is essential!
This position exists to serve as dining room wait staff coordination and oversight, visitor services representative, dining room lead worker, and dining room host for Douglas Lodge Restaurant.
The position runs from mid-May until early October. Typical working hours fall between 8:00am and 8:00pm.
Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise wait staff scheduling, performance, and training to ensure an excellent visitor experience for Douglas Lodge and Itasca State Park clientele.
- Serve as a guest services representative for Itasca State Park and Douglas Lodge in order to provide visitors with an exceptional overall experience for not only Douglas Lodge Restaurant, but Itasca State Park as a whole.
- Reviews and ensures the cleanliness and ambiance of the Douglas Lodge dining room to provide guests of the Douglas Lodge Restaurant with an excellent dining experience.
- Maintains a presence at the Douglas Lodge front desk in order to provide customer service and seat guests of the restaurant, process server reports, pay out tips, act as a cashier, and prepare the tills for day to day operations.
Candidates for this position must possess human relations skills to handle the public and fellow employees with ease and tact. A thorough knowledge of Itasca State Park amenities and the Douglas Lodge dining room is a must. Ability to understand, use and maintain computers and Point of Sale system is necessary to the daily duties of the job. Good penmanship, math skills, bookkeeping and clerical abilities are necessary in carrying out the daily duties of the job. This position requires the employee have the ability to maintain his/her composure even under demanding circumstances and convey a friendly attitude to the customers and fellow employees. In the lead worker role, the candidate must also be able to monitor the wait staff’s work performance, providing them with positive and negative feedback when appropriate and filling in as needed. They must also provide a communication link between the dining room and the kitchen, to ensure that the dining room runs smoothly.
This position is responsible for preparing and serving food and beverages, washing dishes, cleaning food service areas, and working in a visitor service capacity at Itasca State Park.
This position runs from mid-May until early October. Typical working hours can fall anywhere between 8:00am and 8:00pm
- Operate dishwasher, clean serviceware and dishes. Maintain a clean and organized workspace.
- Prepare various food and beverage items to specification based on the needs of the operation and as instructed by supervisory staff.
- Assist with line cooking responsibilities preparing sandwiches, burgers, and other menu items to specification.
- Maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of the Douglas Lodge and Mary Gibbs Cafe kitchen operation as per management expectations.
- Serve as a guest services representative for Itasca State Park at both food service locations in order to provide visitors to the park with an exceptional overall experience.
Candidates should possess a strong work ethic and ability to learn and retain various tasks related to food and beverage service. Basic cooking skills and an ability to read and follow a recipe are preferred. The candidate must be punctual and reliable. Ability to work within a team atmosphere and effectively communicate and cooperate with other team members to ensure prompt and excellent service is an absolute must. This position requires the candidate to maintain composure under demanding circumstances and convey a friendly demeanor towards customers and fellow employees alike.
This position provides dining room wait staff service for the customers in the Douglas Lodge Restaurant and serves as a visitor services representative to the visitors to Itasca State Park.
This position runs from mid-May until early October. Typical working hours fall anywhere between 8:00am and 8:00 pm.
- Perform server duties including greeting customers, taking orders, delivering food, and receiving and processing payments.
- Provides accurate information on accommodations and amenities both inside Itasca State Park and in the surrounding region.
- Communicates with customers to ensure guest satisfaction and an overall excellent guest experience.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of the Douglas Lodge Restaurant dining room.
- Ensures flatware, condiments, and other tableside items are stocked and organized in anticipation of the guests' needs prior to arrival.
- Maintains a clean and organized workspace to ensure efficient, safe, and sanitary preparation of desserts, beverages, and other service related items.
- Perform end of shift and closing cleaning and prep tasks in order to prepare the operation for the next incoming shift.
The candidate for this position should possess human relations skills sufficient to take orders and serve food in a courteous manner. Point of Sale experience preferred. The candidate should have effective active listening and communication skills. Patience and attentiveness is an absolute must. Strong organizational skill coupled with an ability to perform calmly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment is imperative. This position requires the candidate to be able to function in a team environment and work with others in a spirit of positivity and cooperation.
How to Apply
Click on the Apply Now! link within each position description and apply through the Minnesota Hiring Portal. Or click on the Apply Here link and type in the keyword Itasca State Park to find the current job listings.